Runner bean problem

• 16 Replies

chrisnchris

• Experienced Member
Runner bean problem
« on: August 05, 2011, 13:07 »
Hi all,
I'm having a problem with my runner beans, this happens every year, but I'm a bit new round here so havent posted about this before.
I've had a quick search but can't find anything so I hope someone can help.

The flower heads develop well, nice clusters of red & white.....& then they're gone, I'm left with bare stalks 15-20mm long......the flowers are on the ground.

I've spoken to a fair few people about this with various replies......bees, lack of water, rain, lack of food, lack of pollenation, birds.

I will try & post a picture.........that's proving a little difficult :wacko:..........464 KB.......how the hell do I reduce it to 128 KB :wacko:
It's in Picasa if that's any help

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Runner bean problem
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 13:26 »
A bit of detective work needed, and it still ain't easy!

If the fallen flowers are fully open, and even a little tired looking it is probably lack of pollination, which isn't helped if the plants are not kept well watered.

I have however had problems with sparrows pecking off the flowers, some of which fall to the ground before fully opening (they don't even eat them the little blighters!) I have stretched black netting above my Munty frame to deter them, which seems to be working so far.

As for Picasa, which I use, use the "export" button to make a copy in a new folder (you can specify the new size in the dialogue box - 500 pixels usually works for me but it does depend on the file size of your original. Image size can be set to "automatic.")
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

chrisnchris

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 13:35 »
Hoping I might have cracked the picture problem, if nothing else !!!!! :)
I used a part in the "basic fixes" called "picnik" & this resizes....excellent thanks :)
DSCF0002.JPG
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 13:38 by chrisnchris »

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 14:29 »
You appear to have one small bean growing, so I would say lack of pollination for the other flowers, a bit like tomatoes on another thread.
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 14:48 »
Don't know what others think but it's rare that I get every flower setting on every flower stalk (and if they do the weight of the beans sometimes snaps the stalk before they are ready especially if it's windy!)

As you say, it happens every year and usually improves with time (at least you've got one!)  :)

(Chrisnchris: Will have a look at the picnik facility; been using Picasa so long now I've stopped really looking at it!)  ::)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 14:50 by JayG »

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 15:45 »
The first flowers usually fall off mine, and if we have a nasty spell of weather it sometimes happens. Hopefully they will be fine once they get going....mine are going mad now...yum.

PeterP

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 19:37 »
I haven't the foggiest idea if this works.
But someone suggested to me to spray the flowers when they open to set them.
Which I believe you can with tomatoes.
I suppose anything is worth trying.

viettaclark

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2011, 00:30 »
Your plants look very leafy. Have you tried a potassium based feed?
Is it just the first flowers that are dropping? That's normal. As someone else said, they usually set a bit later.

lacewing

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2011, 05:54 »
To help deaw in polenating insects. I always grow a mixed row of beans, different varities.
A row of sweet peas planted near by will also help.
There is no better show of antisipation than a man sowing seeds in a field.

Growster...

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2011, 06:11 »
Pollinating takes a bit of time, as noted a few weeks ago here.

It seems the bees have to learn the way to get into the flowers, and until they do, you'll get several like your picture.

We did, and now, after a few days, the whole lot are setting like a green blanket, and just won't srop growing, so be  a little patient, and you'll be in bean heaven before the week's out!

Salmo

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2011, 09:02 »
It is a usual phenemenon that the first trusses of beans do not set. Even when they do start to set there are often only 3/4 beans out of a truss of 10 flowers.

At present it seems that every flowers on my beans is setting and producing beautiful beans. Combination of plenty of rain and warm days at a guess. Hot dry weather is the worst for setting.

chrisnchris

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2011, 09:25 »
Thanks, that's all very encouraging, at least I'm not the only one!

Am I right in thinking that tomato feed is potasium based? I have some miracle grow tomato feed I'll check it later.

I did plant 30 or so gladioli a few feet away in the hope that they might attract the bees.

Anyway, thanks for your replies :)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2011, 09:26 »
Tomato feed is indeed potash based  :D
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Totty

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2011, 21:58 »
In an attempt to kill two birds with one stone, planting a few insect attracting flowers next your beans will help, planting them so that they flower whilst your beans are still climbing the sticks will mean they are accustomed to buzzing around that area before the bean flowers are even out.
 When my beans are nearing the top, and looking like they are about to start flowering, i use a mister on the plants, every few days, all over from top to bottom with a weak seaweed extract dilution, im sure this helps the first flowers to set as i dont have too many problems with the low ones setting, just have a problem stopping the slugs eating the beans that touch the ground! The seaweed extract also has the advantage of giving a foliar feed which they like!

Totty

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2011, 05:32 »
As far as my failing memory serves me, this has been an age old problem for the last half century and a bit, going back to my grandfather growing them.

I cannot remember a time when it boiled down to using just one thing which always lead to a surplus of beans come autumn (and a load of salt in my grandfather's day).

Patience.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

xx
Runner Bean problem

Started by Eightball on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 08, 2014, 12:13
by sunshineband
xx
Runner bean problem

Started by sianb on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post June 25, 2013, 18:07
by sianb
xx
Runner bean problem

Started by Rowan on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 08, 2008, 09:16
by Rowan
question
French & Runner Bean Problem

Started by gedgemeister on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 30, 2013, 23:07
by Jackypam

Page created in 0.714 seconds with 37 queries.