Urgent help needed please - anaemic growers

• 8 Replies

Helenaj

Urgent help needed please - anaemic growers
« on: August 04, 2011, 18:26 »
I am ashamed to say that I missed the red mite completely in my chick coop and it has resulted in the death of one 10 wk old grower and another that has become very anaemic and weak. I'd noticed one of them not being very well and was doing the usual of worming etc, but mites were the furthest from my mind - I feel so ashamed I've caused this by not being vigilant.
 I've removed the growers from the coop and have them temporarily in a metal cage in my garage, until I can deal with their coop. Their bedding has been dusted with diatomaceous earth and they've been sprayed with Johnsons mite kill spray (used on pigeons). I've also given the weakest some poultry nutri-drops watered down and it is now on its feet, but very weak. Can anybody give me any pointers as to what I can give them to improve their iron intake, or should I continue with the nutri drops but in their water instead.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Urgent help needed please - anaemic growers
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 18:53 »
Poultry Spice has a good amount of Iron in it. 

Poultry Spice

Helenaj

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 18:55 »
Thanks Aunt Sally, I've got some of that and I'll mix a little of it into their pellets with a little water and make a porridge.

orchardlady

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 20:42 »
As you've got them away from the red mite that's the biggest step over. I would suggest that you treat your birds with some frontline and then address the coop. Make sure that you treat it at least three times 5 days apart so that you get all the eggs that will hatch during that time.

Red mite are the absolute worst. They are very easy to overlook but regrettably you have learnt the hardest way (as I did many years ago by loosing 3 birds to red mite before I worked it out). Treat the house, keep up with poultry spice, a few drops of vitamins in their water and maybe a little bit of cod liver oil mixed into their afternoon corn. They will pick up very quickly and you will be back on track. Lastly try not to beat yourself up about it too much. Even experienced poultry keepers like me (16 + years) make mistakes, see my 'lesson learnt' post today.

Orchardlady.

Helenaj

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 21:02 »
The thing is I did every other coop I had. I just didn't think this would have had it as it has concrete block walls. I'm gutted that I missed it.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 21:11 »
no point beating yourself up over this, now you know the problem treat the coop and give those littleones a little bit of tlc, they will soon recover  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

Helenaj

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 07:58 »
The other little one died this morning - a very hard lesson to learn.
Thankfully, the others seem a lot more perky on the spice and I'm transferring them to a temporary coop in my garden for them to enjoy the sunshine while I sort their coop out up in the compound.

This isn't something I'll ever overlook again.

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2011, 04:43 »
Aaaww sorry to hear about your littlies, Helenaj.  :(  But like you siad, it's a hard lesson but a good one and you have learned it now so you will never make the same mistake again.  Also thanks for sharing so others can also learn.

An elderly chicken keeper near me recently told me that she fed her anaemic chickens on chopped lambs' livers after they had a similar experience with red mite.  (I know you have different rules over there about what you can feed to your chickens, but it might be worth a try.)  She said hers went wild for the livers and were soon back in good health again.

Good luck with the rest of your flock.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2011, 04:52 »
liver is a good source of iron for humans  :)

xx
urgent help needed

Started by purplebat on The Hen House

32 Replies
Last post May 14, 2007, 14:41
by xx bluey xx
xx
URGENT HELP NEEDED!

Started by fenella on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post December 16, 2010, 10:07
by Aunt Sally
xx
Urgent Help needed

Started by Hooee on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post March 18, 2010, 20:25
by hillfooter
xx
urgent help needed

Started by naturesparadise on The Hen House

100 Replies
Last post September 20, 2008, 10:28
by Kate and her Ducks

Page created in 0.262 seconds with 29 queries.