Moulting

• 11 Replies

yorkylover

Moulting
« on: July 24, 2011, 18:23 »
Is moulting for hens very stressfull?
I have noticed with my hens one has been under the weather for a couple of days,she is moulting and she is quite red underneath around where her new feathers are coming through.She keeps picking at them so they must be irritating her.

She has been spending alot of time just resting in her nest box,she is still laying and she is eating.

bantam novice

Re: Moulting
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 20:16 »
Hello there,
I'm not an expert; however as I understand it a hen puts lots of energy into moulting and gets quite tired.  They will not usually lay while moulting.
You might want to check for little visitors e.g. lice or redmite.
Good luck and keep us posted  :)
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

yorkylover

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 22:27 »
They haven't got mites they have all been treated and the coop to, it is moulting as she keeps pecking at the new feathers and she has red patches around the new feathers.She seems very hot as well.

bantam novice

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 22:49 »
I know hens get warmer when they are broody and they also pluck out the feathers from their chest and underneath to brood the eggs better.   Is she "growling" at you and fluffing her feathers out when you get too close?

yorkylover

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 09:22 »
Yes she is Broody just had a look here and yes she has all the signs,thank you for your replies.

What do I do???

She wont come out of the nesting box unless I lift her out,and Iv had to do that to get her to eat and drink.She has been very red underneath and hot.She is all fluffed up and making growly sounds!!!!!!

bantam novice

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 14:06 »
If you have a dog crate you could put it up on bricks (for her to cool off underneath) and put her in it with food and drink for a day or two.  Make sure she is protected from the worst of the weather - e.g. out of direct sunlight and protected from wind and rain.  Some people have tried this successfully.  Good luck and keep us posted.  :)

yorkylover

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 17:22 »
I havent got a crate.
Today I have closed the coop after the others had laid.She has eaten now and pooped.But she is still going around fluffed up and making noises.But she is dust bathing.

I feel like Im being cruel,but Im not am I.

bantam novice

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2011, 18:37 »
A broody hen can starve herself to death and can certainly put  the other hens off laying.    You need to decide firstly if you want her to sit on and hatch out fertile eggs or not. 

If you want her to sit you will need a separate coop and you will have to decide what to do with the cockerels that hatch out.  It is usually just over half.

If you want her to stop being broody you will need to try some anti-broody measures.  If you type anti-broody measures into the search box in the top right-hand corner you should find several different things to try.

Good luck and keep us posted  :)

yorkylover

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2011, 23:27 »
I only have 3 hens,I seperated her today from the other 2 until they had laid,then I closed the coop so they had to stay outside that way she was eating and drinking but still making noises!!!!

Thanks for advise,I will look at anti brooding measures. :)

Casey76

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2011, 07:29 »
Oh yes, brrody hens are real grumps when you chuck them out of the nest box.  Always wandering around, with their feathers puffed out, chuntering away to themselves.

If she is still laying, then you might not need a cage.  Just keep her off the nest box, and it may be enough to break her after a few days.  This often happens with laying hybrids, becasue they have almost been deprogrammed for going broody, so they tend to break fairly easily.

yorkylover

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2011, 13:53 »
Well after a few days she is fine back to normal and laying again,but now she is moulting!!!! Iv never seen this as I have only been keeping hen's for just over a year.

Its the same hen that was broody,and now she is bald on her bum, her wings and underneath.She looks really scruffy,every time she flap's there is a cloud of feather's,but she is still laying. :wacko:

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2011, 04:54 »
Oh dear - you have overcome the broodiness and now you've come full circle back to your original question!  :D

She must be a tough old chook to still be laying all through her broodiness and now through her moulting.  And it will be putting a strain on her system so she will need a bit of extra TLC.

Both egg-laying and growing new feathers takes energy and nutrients (especially protein).  So make sure she has a good, balanced diet of mostly layers' pellets or another balanced type of food suitable for laying hens.

In addition, you can consider giving her a protein boost.  I use worms out of my worm farm, but other people suggest giving her something like tinned fish or pet food. 

BUT!  Look at the ingredients on the tin and the nutritional panel.  It's only a protein boost if the tinned food contains more protein than her regular food - usually 16% to 18%.  Some pet foods contain only 10% protein so you will actually reduce her protein if you give her that.  Also don't give her salty food - so definitely no fish in brine.

xx
Moulting Hen??

Started by LittleRedHen on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 01, 2011, 13:26
by bantam novice
xx
moulting? not sure

Started by sued on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 21, 2008, 09:35
by richyrich7
xx
Moulting

Started by alexroyall85 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 11, 2017, 09:10
by Sassy
xx
moulting

Started by matty42 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post January 04, 2010, 13:24
by interlocutor

Page created in 0.297 seconds with 37 queries.