When can i harvest Uchiki Kuris

• 9 Replies

Mazzie

• Experienced Member
When can i harvest Uchiki Kuris
« on: August 03, 2011, 22:54 »
Ive got about 4 of these wonderful beauties growing happily but im unsure as to when to actually pick them.  I keep coming up against conflicting advice.

Thank you :)

Trillium

Re: When can i harvest Uchiki Kuris
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 23:19 »
I grow them every year and I wait until the first light frosts knock back the foliage. By then the squash are as large as they'll get, orange, and should come away easily from the main stem.

Once picked, I let them sit under shelter to 'harden off' a bit before storing.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 08:12 »
I have one plant that has a few set and the first one of these is turning orange already ::)

I think that once they change colour and the skin goes hard, they will not get any bigger, so cut them off then.

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 14:31 »
That works as well, MoS, but I find by leaving them a bit later, the cooler weather helps cool the squash interior so it's better ready for storage, if that's what you plan for them. I usually take in about a dozen big ones to my basement cold storage room and they last ages this way.

realfood

• Experienced Member
    • Grow Your Own Info
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 18:59 »
The commercial advice from the British breeders of squash, Tozers, is to leave them till the foliage dies down in late Autumn. Apparently, the last fortnight is important to allow the plant to transfer the last of the sweetness to the fruit.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 19:34 »
It just lightens the load if you thin them out by picking a few that are already ripe ;)

Mazzie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 21:26 »
Thanks for adding to the contradictions ive already read guys  :tongue2:  I have two that have already turned a lovely orange and are as big as i think they are going to get so im going to pick them and try, its the first year ive even known about them let alone grown them so i neeeeed to try them.  Cant wait now  :D

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2011, 00:45 »
My Uchiki Kuri have grown like triffids, one's shot up the pea frame and the other one's gone 10' across the bed, up the fence and is now wandering along the top of it. Both have put off loads of small fruit, but the fruit's been there ages now and they never seem to get any bigger.  Some of them look pretty orange too, but about 2" across.

Trillium

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2011, 04:27 »
Every year mine get quite a few shovelfuls of old chicken muck. And I end up with squash the size of pumpkins. They also need lots of regular water if you've not got a lot of rain, as well as heat. 

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2011, 09:53 »
Trouble is I daren't put any BFB or tomato food on them now to give them a boost. The've put off so much growth I seriously doubt I could put anything near them without touching the leaves with it. And I've already proved for myself that if you touch their leaves with either BFB or tomato food it burns the leaves quite badly.

xx
uchiki kiri - low yield?

Started by savbo on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post October 02, 2012, 09:46
by savbo
xx
Todays Harvest - my first harvest post

Started by Rowan on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 03, 2008, 20:34
by crowndale
xx
When to harvest...?

Started by chicken on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 18, 2009, 19:37
by LivvyW
xx
should I harvest?

Started by sarah-king on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 28, 2010, 21:59
by Loubs

Page created in 0.441 seconds with 38 queries.