uchiki kiri - low yield?

• 15 Replies

savbo

uchiki kiri - low yield?
« on: October 01, 2012, 09:15 »
Hi all

I grew uchiki kiri for the first time this year. I was a bit late and obviously the weather hasn't helped, but the plant was quite strong. However, only the 3 gourds at ground level matured - the ones up the wigwam of canes never cane to anything, getting brown spots and dropping off when still small.

Do you think this was just cos they were the latest gourds and so didn't get the time to mature, or do the gourds ripen better at ground level than up the wigwam?

sav

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: uchiki kiri - low yield?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 09:49 »
3?  :D -  lucky you! I got just one this year  :(

I think it's all to do with temperature and pollination later in the year, rather than growing them up the wigwam. I don't know about your weather but we've had unseasonably cold nights quite regularly from late August  :(

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 10:03 »

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 10:13 »
Only one UK plant remaining (out of 2) due to trying but failing to keep the slimy creatures at bay.  :(

Only 2 fruits on that one (slowly becoming <2 as either slugs with particularly sharp teeth or some sort of rodent have started to chew through the stalks and skin.)   :nowink:

Agree with Mum - very difficult conditions for growing winter squashes this year, but I won't give up on them next year because they did their best and would almost certainly have performed better with a more even break with the weather.

Just had a look at the pic in Aunty's link - mine are still yellow rather than orange; this is not good news!  :(
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 11:01 »
Auntiemogs sent us some seed, and the two plants we raised really have done pretty well!

We've had about four full sze ones so far, and there are some more on the way, which may well not do much as it's getting a bit nippy these days.

They're all at ground level, and we prop them up on top of a clochewhen they get going, but may try a wigwam next year, as they're sprawling all over the place, and keep tripping me up...

sarajane

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 11:03 »
I managed to get 2  -  slugs ate another 2 and the biggest one 'disappeared' probably by a 2 legged invader, when we were away  >:(

savbo

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2012, 11:47 »

We've had about four full sze ones so far, and there are some more on the way, which may well not do much as it's getting a bit nippy these days.

won't be getting any more off mine, it's on the compost now!

thanks all. feel quite pleased with my 3. Looking forward to eating them now!

sav

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2012, 12:02 »
They don't look easy to grow:

http://www.sowvegetables.co.uk/squash_uchiki_kuri.htm

That looks like standard squash growing info, they're no harder to grow than any squash...but they all seem to have struggled this year :(

Auntiemogs

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2012, 13:04 »
Grew my one plant up the trellis and across the pergola and whilst it had quite a few fruit initially, only one survived.  It looked a bit odd as it was dangling down like a chinese lantern!  ::)  Harvested my baby when it turned orange but at only 2-3 inches across, it is a bit weeny.  Will definitely try again next year though as I've had the same problems with most of my squash & courgettes this year. 
Maybe we should have a smallest 'ripe' squash competition?  :lol:
Glad yours were ok Growster!  :)
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

BabbyAnn

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2012, 13:53 »
I got none this year  :( the slugs ate the Uchiki plants before I realised too late.  They are a nice squash so enjoy  :D

I think I'd win LOL - I have a "ripened" butternut no bigger than a golf ball  :lol:

savbo

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2012, 14:06 »
maybe next year I'll grow a couple of plants and see if gourds on the ground do better than ones up the wigwam... perhaps it's hard work for the plant lifting all the food up the canes :)

sav

Trillium

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2012, 14:24 »
I usually grow them every year but forgot to start seeds in time, so I relied on my butternut squash. Uchiki kuris are like any other squash - if the weather isn't to their liking, they won't do well. And too much rain or drought is not to their liking.

I find Uchikis sweeter than other squash and very nice, so you're in for a treat.

TerryB

• Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition - 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2012, 14:48 »
I had 7 plants in this year.
3 on compost heaps, which provided 6 of a good sized
3 in the open ground, which provided 16 varying in size from a large onion upto 3kg.
1 in the greenhouse supported on cains, which has provided 2 medium and 2 small.
They have done better than the 3 butternut I had in , which only produced 11 small fruit.

Auntiemogs

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2012, 18:07 »
I got none this year  :( the slugs ate the Uchiki plants before I realised too late.  They are a nice squash so enjoy  :D

I think I'd win LOL - I have a "ripened" butternut no bigger than a golf ball  :lol:
Doh! You out-smalled me there Baby Ann, mine is 2 inches now and not ripened. :lol:

BabbyAnn

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2012, 08:37 »

Doh! You out-smalled me there Baby Ann, mine is 2 inches now and not ripened. :lol:

The trick is to do a rushed weeding job and yank up clumps including bits of the squash vine and when you hear something snap, drop it and curse like mad.  Come back 6 weeks later to find a tiny ripened squash ....

xx
When can i harvest Uchiki Kuris

Started by Mazzie on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 06, 2011, 09:53
by shokkyy
xx
pea yield

Started by dmg on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 01, 2012, 17:37
by DD.
xx
Veg yield

Started by KezMez on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post February 28, 2017, 22:25
by mjg000
xx
Yield of strawberries

Started by bigben on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 12, 2011, 19:29
by Honeysuckle

Page created in 0.422 seconds with 38 queries.