retarded growth and poor crops

• 9 Replies

srhjn

retarded growth and poor crops
« on: July 25, 2011, 19:28 »
Hello there. I have a very small plot, a quarter of my friend's whole plot, and I've had a really frustrating year this year. I'd started lots off in pots and planted out in mid to late march.  And everything has stayed alive but just not grown. My potatoes have, and were delicious, and the fruit bushes and onions and garlic and manger tout. But the corn is only a foot and a bit high with hardly any corn. The carrots have just stopped and started to rot. The courgette has stayed alive but not grown any flowers. The courgettes I grew and gave to my friend have grown in her part of the plot! With fruit! And there are a lot of very happy weeds growing. So what's the issue? Can anyone help please? I'm assuming there's not enough good stuff in the soil. If that's the case, what should I put in come autumn to prevent these issues next year? Cheers! Oh. The soil is pretty clay-y so I put in a little sand early in January when I was digging. Just a little bit.

Kleftiwallah

Re: retarded growth and poor crops
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 20:22 »

Sounds like there is just not enough goodness in the soil.  Dig in as much manure as you can get your hands on this autumn, followed by some blood, fish and bone a fortnight before you sow next year.    Cheers,   Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 20:31 »
If, as you say, everything was planted out in March, I'm not suprised some stopped growing.

Sweetcorn, for instance, is planted out after the last frosts, late May at the earliest, I'm sure the packet didn't say to sow so early.

Carrots do not transplant very well, unless you really know what you're doing and they're not fond of heavy soil. If they're rotting, you may have carrot root fly.

Stick with this site and keep an eye on what others are doing, and you'll have a good guide.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 20:33 by DD. »
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 21:14 »
Whereabouts in the country are you, and is there sufficient sun on the veggies?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 04:15 »
A little sand isn't enough to help clay soil. You'll need to add lots of compost and rotted manure to add 'tilth' and richness to the soil. It takes years to build up to what your plot friend has and perhaps the friend hasn't bothered with your particular section. As for sand, you need to add sharp builders sand rather than soft play sand to help loosen clay soil - but it doesn't feed the soil in any way, hence the compost and manure.

Corn, courgettes and tomatoes are all heat loving plants which just cannot tolerate cool weather, especially if planted out early. Some folk do, but plant under cloches or mini hoophouses.

And as DD said, carrots, parsnips, cukes, beans, corn and many other seedlings will not tolerate transplanting. Either start them in pots and slip the undisturbed pot contents into the final grow bed area, or simply direct seed when it's the right time.

There's a lot of good growing advice here: http://www.allotment-garden.org/vegetable/index.php

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 08:16 »
If you could add your locality to your profile please, it will help with more precise sowing times etc for you --- growing conditions vary hugely across our membership  :)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

srhjn

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 12:08 »
Hey, thanks so much for all the help so far. I'm in bristol, and the allotment sure is particularly warm! Just to clarify, I sowed the carrots, parsnips etc direct. I planted out the corn in early maybut read later they don't likebeing transplanted. I think the thing is my soil and so I will load it with goodvstuff this autumn. It was weird hiwvthe onions, peas and potatoes were ok! can I grow next spring? I've learned so much from this time (my first time). I almost can't wait for the autumn! Thanks atain.

TerryB

• Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition - 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 12:41 »
I planted out the corn in early maybut read later they don't likebeing transplanted.

I always start my corn in pots in greenhouse and plant them out when they are about 100mm high. You can plant them out early if you cover them with a large cloche.
My courgettes are only just starting to form so yours may only be a late.
Carrots must be grown in light soil.
I form a V shaped trench with spade, fill this with a mix of sharp sand and multi compost and cover with a very fine net.
Don't use manure, but find that compost, chicken pellets and BFB do a good job.

Stevens706

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011, 12:46 »
Welcome to the site, remember we all have failures, I’ve planted out 4 outdoor ridge cucumbers which are just sitting there sulking. As everyone has said keep an eye on the forum, get a good book or 2 and ask questions we are all more than happy to help.
Paul

Trillium

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2011, 16:20 »
For cool weather areas, cukes will grow very well in coldframes with the lids kept on for warmth.

xx
Poor cauliflower growth

Started by Nana1 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 27, 2018, 16:10
by Nana1
xx
Poor Crops, What can I do to impove ??

Started by Sleepingpopman on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post November 20, 2013, 08:43
by allotmentann
xx
Poor Tomato & Cucumber crops

Started by Sleepingpopman on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 07, 2022, 11:36
by Aunt Sally
xx
Retarded Comfrey?

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 26, 2008, 21:19
by Lardman

Page created in 0.942 seconds with 29 queries.