What is eating my onions

• 4 Replies

Lazy-al

What is eating my onions
« on: July 22, 2011, 11:47 »
Hi all,

I am having a problem with some pests eating some of my onions. I have had to pull about 10 onions so far as they were looking quite ropey, when i pulled them i discovered some small beetle like insects on the affected plants. they seem to be attacking the roots and working up from there. the larger insects are about 3-4mm long and black. The back end of the body is ribbed and they have legs towards the front end. I did also notice on a few of the onions, what looked like the black bugs offspring which were smaller but a light brown or white colour. Any ideas?
Pests on Onions 001.jpg
Pests on Onions 003.jpg

bigben

Re: What is eating my onions
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 11:57 »
I found one or two of mine with these http://www.uknatureblog.com/2010/04/spotted-snake-millipede.html

but many of mine had white rot as well so the bugs were probably not the cause of the problem.

Lazy-al

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 12:41 »
They didn't seem to be that pest, these seem to look similar to a devils coachman but a lot smaller, and attack the root area. i have taken to giving my onions a bit of a wiggle. if they look a bit poor and are not to secure i have pulled them and tend to find these little fellas eating merrily away.

Lazy-al

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2011, 09:10 »
Update- after much searching on the Internet I think I have discovered what these little bugs are, I think they are springtails. I will confirm next time I pull a bad onion. If they do happen to be springtails then I'm not too worried as all the information I can find on them indicates that they just feed on decaying matter. In which case the onions I pulled were going bad before these little blighters got involved.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2011, 12:09 »
when they're loose in the soil, and you pull them up, do they have any white fluffy mould on the roots/bottom of the bulb?

My onions were getting loose and it turned out to be white-rot and once that started all sorts of little creatures seemed to join in the fun ::) It was better for me to pick them all, slice and freeze, or have nothing usuable...Good luck with the rest of yours!

xx
Slugs eating onions. Yes, onions !

Started by hubballi on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 24, 2011, 23:06
by gavinjconway
xx
Something is eating my onions

Started by Joey on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 03, 2007, 21:05
by shaun
xx
What is eating my onions?

Started by Middle Eastern Gardener on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 03, 2023, 22:56
by gobs
xx
Slugs eating my onions !!!

Started by hubballi on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post August 15, 2009, 11:09
by hubballi

Page created in 1.05 seconds with 30 queries.