leeks for the 1st time and sprouts

• 3 Replies

paul veg

leeks for the 1st time and sprouts
« on: July 17, 2011, 08:34 »
Hi all, I have been trying to grow some leeks for the first time, we bought them from a garden centre in small trays, since then there are now in 5" round by 4" deep pots and have a height off about 8" but not that think ( but standing up strong ) I can only plant these in pot to grow due to space, what size pot etc would i need and how many per pot we have approx 20 ish on the go.  :)

also bought some sprouts from the same shop as above, these are planted in a deepish tray about 24" long with about 6 planted in each question is will these tray be deep enough and long enough for the crop at the mo, about 6" tall..... :)

thanks

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: leeks for the 1st time and sprouts
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 08:52 »
Unaccustomed as I am to pot growing, here goes:

Leeks - I would say you'll need something with a depth of at least 9" as you'll need to "dib" a hole at least 6" deep to drop each leek into. As for spacing, mine go into open ground 9" apart, so I'd suggest something you can plant them in 6" apart, at least.

Sprouts - I assume you mean Brussels Sprouts. If you thought the leeks need a bit of space, these'll need much, much more.

24" for 6 plants is nowhere near enough. These can grow up to 3 feet high, depending on variety, although given the size they are now and the lateness in the season, I doubt they'll reach this.  Mine are planted out 3 feet apart. They also need to be in very firm soil/compost as the roots need a good anchor. You'll have to do the maths here, given the guidelines,  but you'll need something BIG!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 08:54 by DD. »
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Fisherman

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 09:37 »
Hello Paul
I grow my spare leek plants in 12" pots and grow them on until about 3/4" diameter then use them as baby leeks. If you leave them in the pots too long they will become pot bound and start dying off. Plant about 6 - 8 plants per pot evenly spaced out and feed well.

As DD says brussels sprouts will need a a large pot something like 18" and one plant per pot as they they need a lot of room for the roots to grow. The plants do grow tall (depends to some degree on the variety) and if in a pot will definitely need staking or they will blow over. A large trough might work say 12" deep placed up against a wall or fence where they can get some protection. Again feed well and firm the plants in by standing on the ground around the base of each plant. This might be a bit of a challenge but nothing ventured nothing gained.

If growing in pots in the future its worth reviewing smaller growing plants. Some that I have had success with are beetroot, carrot (Parmex), cabbage (Hispi), early potatoes, swiss chard etc. I am trying a few parsnips this year as I couldn't get them out of the frozen ground last year. The intention is to move the pots into the greenhouse in winter for some protection.

Good Luck

paul veg

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 18:33 »
Hi,as for the sprouts there are called Brilliant if that rings any bells, what i will do is replant my leaks and sprouts when they take i little bit more....on another not my strawberries where coming on a treat, all covered etc from the birds. but had a little friend in last night and started on one plant and went right through the lot nibble every fruit....little mouse/mice, traps are set now  :(

thanks for the replies

xx
Sprouts and leeks

Started by sushi on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 17, 2013, 10:13
by chrisnchris
xx
Brussels sprouts: how do I avoid failing the next time??

Started by Subversive_plot on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 01, 2021, 19:35
by jezza
xx
Leeks, still time to sow seed?

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 11, 2022, 21:20
by Mr Dog
xx
growing leeks for the first time !

Started by starry on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post February 16, 2012, 22:23
by DD.

Page created in 0.444 seconds with 28 queries.