have my onions bolted??? and what's wrong with my rocket?

• 7 Replies

scott40k

My red onions have gone a bit iffy..... pulled two rotton ones up, don't think it's white rot as others all seem fine and are well rooted. However the foliage has got all mottled yellow spots and has kind of fallen flat. My rocket appears to have the same affliction, but has not gone flat and has dozens of lace-like holes in with the yellow discolouration.

Some of the onions still aren't very big, but I should I just get them up?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: have my onions bolted??? and what's wrong with my rocket?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 10:32 »
You sometimes get the odd one go rotten, so possibly nothing to worry about.

If they've fallen over, sounds like they've reached the end of this stage of their life cycle. When did you plant them and were they sets? They will only have bolted if they've flowered.

As for the rocket, sounds like flea beetle, a totally different problem.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

scott40k

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 21:50 »
onions were sets planted in March. According to the various guides, they should have been ready mid June, but were nowhere near big enough  :wacko: had a couple of flower spikes, but nipped them off asap. Some of the onions have filled out nicely, some are still on the small side. Should I lift them?

Also the garlic appears to be showing the same discolouration.....

gobs

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 18:16 »
Onions planted in March are not going to be near ready in mid-June. You might have some mix-up here. Either you planted over-wintering onions too late or expecting something of summer ones, they won't do yet.

Rocket, you sow another lot now or near autumn, you do not get flee beetle damage that much.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

scott40k

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 06:03 »
hmmm interesting  :wacko: I don't think I have the packet anymore. pretty sure they're red barons

second sowing of rocket is already in  :)

rhysdad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 08:21 »
I have onions, planted in March from sets, that look nearly ready but i'm not too sure. They are about the size of large tennis balls and the stems have yellowed a bit at the tips and they've fallen over. They are Stuttgarter/sturon i think. Also i have red barons which look to be doing a similar thing. Do these sound like they are ready to lift and dry off for storing?

lazza

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 09:28 »
hmmm interesting  :wacko: I don't think I have the packet anymore. pretty sure they're red barons

second sowing of rocket is already in  :)

it might be too late, but if you can spare the space, leave the other rocket to go to seed. You get loads and loads of seeds off them once the seed pots have dried out and (in my experience) the seeds you harvest are good for the following year with no extra effort.

JohnB47

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 11:23 »
I have onions, planted in March from sets, that look nearly ready but i'm not too sure. They are about the size of large tennis balls and the stems have yellowed a bit at the tips and they've fallen over. They are Stuttgarter/sturon i think. Also i have red barons which look to be doing a similar thing. Do these sound like they are ready to lift and dry off for storing?

I would have expected them to do more yellowing/drying than "yellowed a bit at the tips" before they fell over. Still, as long as they've not just been blown over by the wind, they sound ready to lift to me. My stuttgarter (planted a bit late in Spring) have bulbed up well and are still standing firm, so I'm leaving them for a couple of weeks - they'll be ready to lift when I'm on holiday (of course :()

clip
What's wrong with my Rocket?

Started by cluelessnovice on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 19, 2020, 20:48
by Growster...
xx
bolted onions

Started by celtbhoy on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 26, 2008, 18:21
by pushrod
xx
onions bolted!?

Started by mickwood on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 12, 2009, 14:38
by Bombers
xx
Snowball Onions Bolted

Started by RookieJim on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 17, 2014, 18:14
by Totty

Page created in 1.523 seconds with 30 queries.