vicious Black Rock!

• 3 Replies

ginaclements

vicious Black Rock!
« on: July 05, 2011, 17:24 »
hello everyone i'm hoping for some advice please.
I've recently purchased hens for the 1st time.
1 Bluebell (very timid), 1 Black Rock and 1 lovely Brown (very placid, already laying)
My problem is that Black Rock is not very friendly, she will purposely come up to you and peck. is this common to her breed? she does'nt welcome being handled much either as I thought this would calm her down.
they're 19 weeks old and i've had them a week.
please can anyone help?
I know I'll become addicted, i'll just have to move house...
It starts with 3!!! (june 19 2011)

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: vicious Black Rock!
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 17:45 »
Hi we have 4 Black Rocks and they are like humans (all different personalities)!  The pecking is usually them trying to see if there is anything to eat on you.  If it becomes a problem you can use your forefinger and thumb as a beak and make a pecking motion back at her.  This worked for us and established the pecking order.   :D 

If you sit on a chair in their enclosure and offer them a small amount of treats from your hand each day they will soon adjust to you.  Use this time to give them a stroke without making sudden movements.  When they are more comfortable around you try picking them up (they might even jump on your knee for the treats), leave your Black Rock until she sees that the others are not affraid and this should help.

She is still young and if she hasn't started laying yet she will mellow.  When hens are laying and you approach them they often curtsey (crouch down), which makes it easier for you to pick them up.  Having said that we still have one (Road Runner), who gives us the run around most of the time.   :blush:

Welcome to the Forum and we look forward to pictures of you hens.   
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

ginaclements

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 17:56 »
thank you ANHUBC, i will follow your advice. Cluckers (brown not my name choice!!) does exactly what you've said and she's got a lovely temperament. I will persevere and have patience.
thank you

bantam novice

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 19:46 »
Good luck  Ginaclements
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

xx
Black rock

Started by Beano on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 19, 2021, 16:16
by steven c
xx
BLACK ROCK

Started by JACDORE on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post February 28, 2012, 16:32
by JACDORE
xx
black rock...not quite right...help

Started by darby on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 13, 2009, 21:01
by Foxy
xx
black rock chickens

Started by animal mad on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post February 15, 2010, 19:30
by animal mad

Page created in 0.991 seconds with 30 queries.