BLACK ROCK

• 7 Replies

JACDORE

BLACK ROCK
« on: February 24, 2012, 12:27 »
Getting a little worried over my black rock as she is my girl from our very first girls.  So she's probably nearly 4.  At least 3 but im sure 3 1/2 to 4 off top of my head.  Anyway she laid a couple of soft shells last month, one got stuck and was hanging out her bum for a couple of days (2 max) so i salt bathed it and slowly eased it out, yuck yuck, it stank.  Anyway cleaned the rest and couldnt see anymore.  That was about 3weeks ago.  I think she laid an egg which was ok a few days later as she's the only one that lays very pale large ish eggs as shell so thin her being elderly ish.  She has since then decided to still eat and drink ok, not lay, keep herself away from the other girls during the day and just not be herself.  Sometimes a mucky end that i clean away for her.  Do you just think she's slowing down loads as getting on.  Also ive noticed her comb is still red but just looks light a kinds grey/blue tinge to top of it.  Hubby hasnt noticed it but she's my baby so i have.  Any idea's?
2 rottys 4 cats, 2 gecko's, 2 beardies, 2 hamsters, 1 guinea pig, 1 rabbit, 12 various fish, 6 hens, 1 hubby, (lol)

hen-night

• Experienced Member
Re: BLACK ROCK
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 14:00 »
Hi, i'm not an expert on black rocks or any other for that matter, but I would'nt have though 4ys was old not for this breed. A good hybrid by all accounts with a long laying capability, fancied some myself.

Tony H

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 14:24 »
Hi i have some black rock aswell before i got them i did a bit of reading on them, as a hybrid about 3 years is average some lay more some less, but i am only going on what i read from the webb which did vary between 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 with many diferent factors, hopefully someone with more experience can give you a answer
Chicken crazy

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 15:03 »
Think I have read that they can live for up to 8 years but that would probably be the exception rather than the rule.  Is yours from the Black Rock Hatchery or just the same cross?  I understand that the genuine Black Rock is a lot stronger due to the selective breeding over the years.  I have 4 and they are about 17 months old.  Three went of lay at the start of winter and molted but have come back into lay now and the other just kept on laying and didn't molt.  Bit like humans, we are all different.  Just keep an eye out for her being egg bound if she is unable to lay the softies.  Hope that things improve for her and once she stops producing eggs she will be able to enjoy her retirement.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Sassy

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 08:31 »
Unfortunately hybrids tend to die much younger that pore breeds due to their superior egg laying :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

JACDORE

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 16:09 »
yep i think its just her age.  She seems to be loosing weight and getting quite weak for her.  She is still eating, drinking, being very friendly.  Might get a vet to see her.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 23:13 »
Hope it is something they can treat JACDORE.

JACDORE

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 16:32 »
Maddy got some Septrin 1ml at vets today and told give twice a day for a week and take her back.  He wasnt too worried over her as says she is getting on now bless her. Felt inside and nothing worrying or stuck.  Weighed her and although we have noticed she is loosing weight he wasnt too worried.  She 1.5kg.  Anyone heard of this septrin and know anything about it.  Says no need for egg withdrawal but she isnt laying as getting to her egg stop days anyway.Thought she'd get baytril but he gave this

xx
Black rock

Started by Beano on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 19, 2021, 16:16
by steven c
xx
black rock...not quite right...help

Started by darby on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 13, 2009, 21:01
by Foxy
xx
Poorly black rock

Started by Kazoo on The Hen House

21 Replies
Last post November 08, 2008, 07:44
by ceri green
xx
still having problems with black rock

Started by ginaclements on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 27, 2011, 10:27
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.241 seconds with 38 queries.