Girls? are getting bigger (photo)

• 7 Replies

gracie

• Experienced Member
Girls? are getting bigger (photo)
« on: July 05, 2011, 14:14 »
Here are my girls, I say that hesitantly as I got the orpingtons at 6 weeks and apparently you cant sex positively at that age, the breeder thought they would be, and agreed to take any back if they were to be a boy. In my eyes I havent really seen anything to make me think they are boys. They will be 11 weeks tomorrow, the others will be 14 weeks on Friday.
Im not sure exactly what the larger two are, could the darker one be a female legbar, the boys went when they were 7 weeks. Not sure about the white one though, she is gradually getting more and more white specks in her feathers.
The darker one's comb is gradually getting redder, do you think she is getting close to laying? At present I have the nest boxes blocked off in the coop, I am thinking that maybe I should start to unblock it or should I wait until i see an egg then introduce them to it.

Colernehens

Re: Girls? are getting bigger (photo)
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 14:24 »
Your buff Orps look like girls to me.  :D

We have Orps ranging from 8 weeks to 2 years old, I am no expert, but I would say that they are definitely girls. Two of my 8 week olds have bigger combs that yours, but no wattles as yet, so am desperately hoping they are girls. I have already had 3 definite cockerels from the 6 chicks  :( 

gracie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 14:36 »
Thank you, I did think they were, one seems obviously a girl but the other had a really red face, but if you look at them they are like identical twins other than that. In fact other than a mark on Honeys beak i never know if its her or Mabel. They just make me laugh as when they run they look like their knickers are falling down.
Out of our original 6  chicks we had 4 boys, we loved them all but at 7 weeks they went back to my friend for table rearing, I would like to see photos of them now, but darent ask as i dont know what age they slaughter them, so probably best not to know.
Once the boys went it was incredible how all the chest bumping stopped, we have a few feather fluffs and chasing but thats about it now.
I have heard they are prone to going broody, have you found that with yours, guess I will be asking advice on here when mine start.

Colernehens

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 16:09 »
Yes it is hard. Although I am told and have seen that Orp cockerels do get on well together, but sadly we do not live in house at the moment that would be suitable for a cockerel our neighbours are too close.

Yes we call it their skirt and trust me you haven't seen anything yet. These are our older girls, they get big  :lol:

Yes two of the ones in the picture had a moment of broodiness in March, but a shake of the treat pot and closing to coop door for the rest of the day and they had second thoughts. So far nothing more this year. Of course if you have eggs to hatch then I have heard they make great mum's,but we haven't tried it.

They are very friendly birds and docile, so they can be prone to bulling in a mixed flock, but we find once they have excepted each other they are usually fine. (unless there is corn to be had, then its each for their own, no holds barred :lol:)
IMG_6714.JPG

gracie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 16:24 »
Oh bless, they are gorgeous. Used to think my husband made the coop too big but I think they will need the room as I think the days of 4 of them on a perch are numbered

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 16:39 »
They look lovely, great pic. My buff orp chick looks nothing like the colour of your girls, starting to think it isn't one after all.

bantam novice

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011, 19:35 »
Lovely chicks  :D
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

Colernehens

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2011, 20:28 »
A big coop is nice for them, but if they are like mine, they will all squeeze into the smallest corner they can find. It makes us laugh at times - might just as well have given them a shoe box to sleep in  :lol:

They look lovely, great pic. My buff orp chick looks nothing like the colour of your girls, starting to think it isn't one after all.
Do you have a picture? Might be able to give a guess at what colour your Orp might be - Do you know without doubt it's an Orp?

xx
I thought I really ough to share - photo of my girls

Started by Foghorn-Leghorn on Chicken Chat

5 Replies
Last post June 11, 2010, 17:33
by nicky d
xx
photo of my ducks

Started by Rita on Chicken Chat

1 Replies
Last post October 19, 2011, 20:17
by bantam novice
xx
photo of new chickens

Started by Rita on Chicken Chat

4 Replies
Last post October 20, 2011, 15:03
by sneezer
xx
Photo of perch in the run

Started by gracie on Chicken Chat

7 Replies
Last post May 17, 2011, 13:15
by LittleRedHen

Page created in 0.179 seconds with 30 queries.