Toms vs. Chillies vs. Aubergines

• 1 Replies

ex-cavator

Toms vs. Chillies vs. Aubergines
« on: July 04, 2011, 18:57 »
I have tomatoes, chillies, and aubergines in my greenhouse. All were planted on at the same time into the same size pots using the same compost (B&Q General Purpose), and are fed and watered in exactly the same way.

The tomatoes and the chillies are healthy and producing fruit - but neither are as sturdy, productive, or as advanced as those in my son's greenhouse, where, though treated exactly the same, they have been hotter, as my greenhouse has a couple of panes missing.

But why has the compost in the tomato pots remained fresh looking and crumbly on the surface, whereas that in the chilli & aubergine pots gone black / green & compact - looks generally a bit 'sour' or 'rancid' - don't quite know how to describe it better?

And why have my aubergines failed to grow - they keep hanging on, but haven't really got much bigger, but just keep losing leaves from the bottom up - they just wither & drop off?

I just need to understand where I'm going wrong - obviously the toms are happy though presumably could do with being a bit warmer, but what should I do differently with the others?  :mellow:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Toms vs. Chillies vs. Aubergines
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 19:43 »
Aubergines like heat even more than toms. So if you have panes missing they will be really struggling :ohmy: They also like humidity, so you could try leaving a bowl of water near them.

Perhaps the chillies didn't need as much water as they've been getting, so the pots have stayed a bit on the wet side ..............keep chillies a bit dryer than toms.

xx
Aubergines or black chillies?

Started by Scribbler on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post September 11, 2015, 06:46
by Scribbler
xx
Greenhouse, soil for toms, Q's and Aubergines, advice please

Started by Alex 98 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 15, 2009, 11:49
by Aidy
xx
toms and chillies flowering

Started by smellykipper on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 23, 2014, 11:51
by Headgardener22
xx
Do toms and chillies cross fertilse

Started by Robster on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 23, 2011, 08:09
by Robster

Page created in 0.585 seconds with 30 queries.