If chickens to be kept in permanent run - help on good husbandry

• 2 Replies

salt and pepper

• 5 Rhode Island red bantams and a golden retreiver
Hi everyone,

when i get my girls they are going to be kept in a permanent run, through the day but let out into a bigger space when were in, what are the best things to do to keep chooks healthy ie how to clean run or what to clean with, they will be kept on soil or can put something on top if better, and to help prevent build up of worms or diseases, and to keep it smelling nice.

Thank you

Sassy

Many on here use wood chippings which they rake regularly then just clear away and replace when they think its time. Lime can be used to 'sweeten' the ground but you would need to remove the hens for this. I have not done it and you would need further advice. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

batty810T

Hi there! we do exactly this with our ex batts!  I use soft wood chippings on the floor of the run which is directly in contact with the soil so they can scartch about and have a dust bath-Our run is covered which helps enormously with keeping the area clean and dry.  Twice weekly I sprinkle Bio Dri into the litter and rake it in-You can only get this on line but it's worth every penny!!  We change the litter in the run once a month.  The coop gets changed weekly and I pick the poop out daily! The coop and wooden bits of the run are  sprayed with anti red mite solution monthly.  I worm the girls with Flubivet as reccommended as there is always a chance that an earth worm may be devoured which carry worm eggs.  I only let mine out into the garden when I'm home and under strict supervision.  In the sink holes the ladies make whilst dust bathing I sprinkle lice powder and rake that into their "Spa" area!  I'm still learning, but so far so good the aforementioned is working well for us!!

xx
Is there any veg not good for chickens

Started by Plot30 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post January 21, 2012, 18:31
by Tony H
xx
which breed of dog is good with chickens

Started by Bubbles on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post August 22, 2010, 22:52
by Bubbles
xx
Silkies, good first chickens?

Started by evie2 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post January 04, 2011, 20:42
by grenhouse
xx
Is this any good for chickens to live in?

Started by mum2many on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 07, 2007, 16:07
by eggs on legs

Page created in 0.586 seconds with 28 queries.