Tiny blood spots on egg

• 16 Replies

brick22

Tiny blood spots on egg
« on: June 21, 2011, 08:03 »
Hi all
This morning my Black Rock laid an egg with tiny blood spots over it. I don't think its anything to panic about but thought I would check just in case.
She is new to laying (this was her 4th egg), they are still quite small compared to my other girls who started laying a week ahead of her.
She seems fine in herself, eating and drinking well. We have only had them a couple of weeks, I've heard red mite can cause little blood spots, could they really arrive that quickly? My other girls eggs are completley clean.
The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.” - unknown

Helenaj

Re: Tiny blood spots on egg
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 08:24 »
It certainly sounds like red mite and although mites can live on the birds temporarily, they more often than not like the little nooks and crannies inside the house to hide in during the day and come out at night. The best way I find is to go to the coop when dark and run a clean white tissue over the perches - if it comes back red, you've got mites. You can also stand in the coop in the dark and see what crawls up your arm - but I'm not brave enough to do that!

I don't mean to sound patronising, but are they definately blood spots and not speckles?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 09:03 »
sounds like red mite to me too  :(
Staffies are softer than you think.

orchardlady

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 10:35 »
I'm afraid I'm in agreement with the others...red mite...They will not have arrived but came with your birds. The red mite does not live on the bird during the day but there can always be a couple of stray ones that get stranded on the birds and so come with them when they moved to your home. There are lot's of ideas on how to control red mite on this forum and you can always ask to. Red mite are a problem that needs to be addressed asap as they can make your birds anaemic and eventually this will bring on death. Sorry to be the doom merchant.

Orchardlady

PS The reason you are seeing these blood spots is that you must now have a heavy infestation. They are yuck but will not cause you personally harm jus irritation. When you have treated your hen house come back into your home and strip in front of your washing machine, load and turn on then streak to the bath or shower.

brick22

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 11:27 »
I thought they were speckles at first but they did wash off the egg. I've got all the necassary equipment to get rid of them (baring a blow torch), will start ASAP.
I knew I would get them one day but can't believe its been so quick.
Have no idea where they are hiding, all the crevices have been painted with diatomaceous earth, guess I've missed something somewhere.
As with streaking through the house tonight, my husband can't wait!!!!! ;)

orchardlady

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 12:12 »
 :D :D :D

joyfull

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 13:54 »
when you do clean the coop do not put the compost into your compost bin - the red mites can live without food for six months and will crawl back out to get back to your birds  >:(. Either burn it or double bag it and put in the dustbin.

brick22

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 14:04 »
Thanks everyone, just about to go out there and tackle it now.
I've just collected my Frontline Kitten spray from the vets and they have told me to spray it all over my girls feathers, getting them damp but not soaked and not to eat the eggs for 7 days.  I was under the impression to spray a bit on the necks/skin as this way they cant preen it off.
Any advice welcome....x

joyfull

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 14:14 »
it is your coop that needs treating not the birds - I use frontline spray (part the feathers and give a quick squirt between the shoulder blades). I wouldn't wet them all over as they will ingest it when preening.

brick22

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2011, 14:19 »
Thanks joyfull thats what I thought

...sorry, I should've put "tackle the "coop" now", I'm doing 2 things at once and getting a little confused :wacko: Was going to frontline after I've cleaned and treated the coop so I have covered all bases.

brick22

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2011, 17:23 »
All done....under the very watchful eye of Noodle :D
Noodle on coop.jpg

orchardlady

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2011, 19:07 »
Hello again.
You commented on not knowing where the red mite are hiding, sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings but I think the likely spot is under the felt. I assume it is boarded over on the inside. RIP THE FELT OFF and you will be horrified of what you find...... :( Re roof with Onduline or other similar corrugated roofing.

Orchardlady.

bantam novice

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2011, 20:00 »
What a lovely chook Noodle is  :D 
I would agree with Orchardlady about the felt, I'm afraid  :(
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

brick22

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2011, 07:00 »
Please don't worry about being the bearer of bad tidings orchardlady, I would rather know. Going to look into the roof lining today and hopefully get some ordered.
I completley took the coop apart yesterday and painted the underneath & crevises of the roof as well, hopefully that will at least slow them down for a few days while I get it sorted.
Many thanks for the advice, please could I ask 2 more questions :D
1. How often should you paint the crevises with Diatmaceous Earth?
2. How often do you frontline spray?
Thanks again.....x

ps, thanks bantam novice on your comment RE Noodle, yes she is very lovely and completley different to how I thought chickens would be, she has no problems jumping up on your lap for a stroke, I've only had her 3 weeks as well.

Helenaj

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2011, 07:13 »
I've also found Johnson's anti mite and lice spray excellent for spraying the coop (not the hens - I use Frontline for that). At a quarter of the price of Frontline spray and you can usually get it from your pet shop, you can't go wrong.

xx
blood spots

Started by ollies mom on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 20, 2009, 09:27
by ollies mom
xx
Blood Spots In Eggs

Started by peter rooster on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post February 14, 2011, 20:06
by peter rooster
xx
Large blood spots in the coop.

Started by Roughlee Handled on The Hen House

32 Replies
Last post June 10, 2009, 09:50
by Roughlee Handled
xx
White Spots

Started by Dominic on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 17, 2011, 13:57
by Dominic

Page created in 0.261 seconds with 29 queries.