what happened to the price of sheds????

• 20 Replies

willowish

what happened to the price of sheds????
« on: June 20, 2011, 15:31 »
anyone know the cheapest place to buy a half decent shed? i have a top end budget of £150 and i'm struggling to find a 5x7 for that. i don't want second hand...been there done that & they never go back up the same.
surely the price of sheds have gone up in line with electricity and haircuts?  :lol:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: what happened to the price of sheds????
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 19:15 »
5x7 for £150  -   I doubt you'll find one at that price.

http://cheapshedsdirect.co.uk/7ft-x-5ft-sheds/cat_8.html

DIY from pallets perhaps ?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 19:21 by Aunt Sally »

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 19:20 »
I am afraid Aunty is right - sheds cost more than you would think  :(

You could always consider building one from pallet wood, supplemented with some purchased timber for the frame   :unsure:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

willowish

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 20:07 »
have thought about going down the 'build your own' route......time to make a start i guess...
hadn't thought they would go up that much, i bought a 6x4 for £99 a few years ago, be cheaper to buy a house than a shed soon!  :lol:

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 20:20 »
Some of the plotholders on our site have the most amazing self builds.

Some have used recycled front doors from houses  :ohmy:

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 22:27 »
Hope he doesn't mind me showing this, but this was a shed built from pallet wood by one of our members a couple of years ago!

Shed's aren't cheap, and many of them still fall apart after a year!  We've had several sheds from freecycle for the chooks, but my potting shed was given to us by an old lady who was scared of sheds!  it is 7x5 and to get it in our little van Brian had to chop the sides in half horizontally, but you can't see the joins from the outside!!    :lol:
Dave's shed (450 x 338).jpg

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 23:14 »
Willowish,  are there any building sites near to you?  I have been allowed to take away the wooden hoarding from around a refurbishment site where I work; all of the sheets are 8 feet high and about 5 or 6 feet wide marine ply that's about an inch thick for free!

I'm not suggesting that you come all the way to the NE for these, but if you can contact a building firm that is doing refurb or building work that's coming to an end they might let you have some when they have dismantled the boundary fencing that keeps kids and unwanteds out.

Often it is just landfilled or chipped down at the end of a project because they can't use it again (and have you ever seen a contractor re use materials like that at the start of a project 'cause I haven't!)

could be worth a shot

Granny; that's an amazing shed!

Willowish, you might also want to check out this old thread: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=26997.0

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 00:01 »
Yes it is isn't Suzi?  I don't know if the thread is still on here, but Dave gave us all a step by step photo account of the build.  I'll see if I can find it!

Found it!!

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=16203.0
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 00:03 by GrannieAnnie »

whiskywill

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2011, 17:03 »
anyone know the cheapest place to buy a half decent shed? i have a top end budget of £150 and i'm struggling to find a 5x7 for that. i don't want second hand...been there done that & they never go back up the same.

A bit larger than 7 x 5 but a good price.
http://www.gardenbuildingsdirect.co.uk/Wooden-Sheds/BillyOh-Classic-Economy-Apex
Any day above ground is a good day.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2011, 17:12 »

A bit larger than 7 x 5 but a good price.
http://www.gardenbuildingsdirect.co.uk/Wooden-Sheds/BillyOh-Classic-Economy-Apex
http://www.ilikesheds.com/Product.aspx?ID=2167   cheapest 7x5 I can find

These look like some I saw recently and they were rubbish.  The panels were like fencing panels and had warped with the rain.  They look good on a small photo but you are better seeing what you are going to hand your hard earned cash for. 

Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

madcat

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2011, 18:33 »
We have just bought a large 20x10 workshop and it amazing how deceptive website pics and descriptions can be!  You do have to see what you are buying ....  we got some very nasty disappointments when we turned up saying 'you have x on your website ....'.

All credit to  viking sheds for showing exactly what they said they did, and then making one as we wanted it for (compared to the rest of the market) a sensible price.  Over your price range but excellent quality.

All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

reeterry

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2011, 23:11 »
These look like some I saw recently and they were rubbish.  The panels were like fencing panels and had warped with the rain.  They look good on a small photo but you are better seeing what you are going to hand your hard earned cash for. 

Hmm, anyone got any recommendations for a good place to get sheds then? how is the B&Q range?

jimthejimjim

• Leyland Mini Club
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2011, 09:03 »
I recently purchased a shed on a low budget, £130 and I am extremely dissapointed with it.

I wish I had spent my £130 on wood from the local timber yard, I cuold have had a much bigger and stronger shed for the money. I would have had to put more effort into it but I feel it would have been well worth it.

My next shed (require one on my allotment) will be homemade.
Please be patient! Learner gardener - allow plenty of room when passing!

8doubles

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2011, 09:57 »
I recently purchased a shed on a low budget, £130 and I am extremely dissapointed with it.

I wish I had spent my £130 on wood from the local timber yard, I cuold have had a much bigger and stronger shed for the money. I would have had to put more effort into it but I feel it would have been well worth it.

My next shed (require one on my allotment) will be homemade.

A couple of carpenters i know looked in to the viability of making sheds, they came to the same conclusion that even though they could not make them cheaper they would make a better shed for the same money but not enough profit.
The old adage `buy cheap, buy twice` certainly applies to buying sheds.

xx
Sheds

Started by Henry on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post May 25, 2010, 08:27
by taterfork
xx
Prices of sheds!

Started by Only1Dionne on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post January 29, 2010, 23:54
by Paul Plots
xx
Tool Sheds

Started by slow_worm on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post October 30, 2007, 13:29
by slow_worm
xx
Netting for sheds

Started by Jamie Butterworth on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post July 04, 2010, 22:15
by sueanthony

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 38 queries.