How do YOU grow the perfect potato?

• 48 Replies

Paul Plots

Re: How do YOU grow the perfect potato?
« Reply #45 on: July 22, 2011, 23:29 »
For the perfect potatoes what you don't do is go on holiday the morning after receiving a blight watch warning that the first full smith period has been recorded in your area.  :(

So now I should worry all the way there and back... but maybe keeping my fingers crossed would be as useful.  ::)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Vit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2011, 23:45 »
We don't really have spring and autumn varieties; it's often the same varieties just planted at different times of the year.  The ones planted in autumn tend to be restricted to the early varieties though.

I don't understand your comment about frost.  We get frost in the UK from about October / November onwards.  So the autumn planted potatoes are very much at risk.  That is why we always advise growing them in pots which can be protected and moved under cover when it gets cold.

Thank you for reply, it "blowing away fog"  :D About frost - here temperature droping below 0 in mid December, that's why i specified "time for growing" - both periods long enough to grow.

So... i can try to plant my own seeds in late August, early September to get potatoes somewhere around Christmas. Locals do that, but they buying seeds from the shop. In my case, i wouldn't, because amount is much bigger.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2011, 11:55 »
Bear in mind that growth will slow down significantly with shorter days and lower temps, so I'd aim for August rather than September sowing.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Vit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #48 on: July 23, 2011, 12:57 »
I'm a bit down south, so end of August beginnig of September  :D
Today i finally planted 4(!) "forgotten" potatoes. Feels so sorry, i left them for 3 months in wooden box. They have nice and thick germs, so just planted them next to sweet potatoes - sunny, well drained and fertilized spot. Crossing fingers...

xx
Potato grow bag

Started by Give it a go on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 25, 2011, 11:54
by Poolcue
xx
Potato grow bags

Started by tomboy on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 10, 2021, 10:08
by tomboy
xx
potato in grow bags

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 20, 2011, 18:55
by mumofstig
xx
potato grow bags

Started by casper on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 03, 2014, 23:22
by Robster

Page created in 0.435 seconds with 27 queries.