• I love growing unusual vegetables!
Re: How do YOU grow the perfect potato?
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2011, 22:48 »
I'm afraid this year i'm growing anything but the perfect spud!  :(

Paul Plots

« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2011, 22:53 »
Goodness me that's a lot of watering  :ohmy:

It takes about 50 x 10L cans of water to water my potatoes.  I don't think I want to do that too frequently.   ;)

I'm inclined to agree.

I can live without perfect potatoes.  ;) Some of mine, the earlies, were watered twice and the rest take their chances with the weather.  :blink:
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Y.E.A.H

• I love growing unusual vegetables!
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2011, 23:00 »
the rest take their chances with the weather.  :blink:

That's what i did this year but it failed terribly!  :(

Paul Plots

« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2011, 23:02 »
When it stops raining (and my sister can give up a few hours of her time to look after our elderly parents) I hope to dig the first of mine up to check the results so far.  ;)

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2011, 20:11 »
We (Worzel) don't dig a trench.  "We" just make a hole with a trowel for each potato.

Our soil is a little heavy and I find too much hole digging with a trowel too hard on the wrists. ..and all that crouching does not suit me either. A spade seems like less work for me.

I don't find it hard on "my" wrists and I've bought a nice soft kneeler for Worzel.   :lol: :lol: :lol:

I need a Worzel

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2011, 20:18 »
An "old boy" on our site uses one of these to plant his potatoes.

http://www.dobies.co.uk/Shop/Seed+Potatoes/Long+Handled+Bulb+and+Potato+Planter+574341.htm

« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 20:20 by Aunt Sally »

gazza975526570

• Experienced Member
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2011, 20:36 »

http://www.dobies.co.uk/Shop/Seed+Potatoes/Long+Handled+Bulb+and+Potato+Planter+574341.htm

I guess that could be really usefull if your struggling to bend down so much -must say i just make a bit of a hole and stick one in every so often down the rows!

SkipRat

« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2011, 21:51 »

I guess that could be really usefull if your struggling to bend down so much -must say i just make a bit of a hole and stick one in every so often down the rows!

I have used one of those for the last two years its so much easier, I simply rotovate one of my raised beds with my Mantis tiller, use the bulb planter to go as deep as I can, throw a handfull of home made compost in the hole, then throw a spud in,then another hand full of compost on top of the spud , job done. When spud haulms are around 5 - 6 inch high i earth up with my azada. My crop is no better of no worse then the trench method, but is a whole lot easier.
I used to work in a helium gas factory, but I walked out, no one talks to me like that.

Paul Plots

« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2011, 02:02 »
When it stops raining (and my sister can give up a few hours of her time to look after our elderly parents) I hope to dig the first of mine up to check the results so far.  ;)

With very minimal watering:

So far I've lifted four plants and the results are great... plenty of them and a good size. Flavour is oh so much better than shop bought. Arran pilot is on the list again for next year.

All placed in the ground carefully the hard way: trench then hole dug with a trowel, covered up and earthed up 3 times....as the foxes kept having a little dig!  ::)

Vit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2011, 04:35 »
What's gonna happened if you will plant spring variety of potatoes in the autumn and, opposite, autumn variety in the spring? Both of them will not meet frost, soil is normalized for potatoes.

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2011, 07:14 »
I've done very well with bunging in cow manure then planting. No watering for me this year and very,very dry until late June. My largest single new spud was 1lb 2oz, average yield so far from each plant 4lbs spuds(chitted and Jan until planting mid feb, earthed up as needed and fortunately no late frost) . Variety Vales Emeralds.
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

sarajane

« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2011, 07:28 »
We use the spade method. Remove 1 spade of soil, add a large trowel of manure, bung spud on top , cover and mound up and forget about them.  Dont normally water them but had to a couple of times in May when we had no rain.

Digging some lovely red duke of yorks at the moment and had some very good sized charlottes.

Mr Rotavator

• Experienced Member
« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2011, 08:41 »

With very minimal watering:

So far I've lifted four plants and the results are great... plenty of them and a good size. Flavour is oh so much better than shop bought. Arran pilot is on the list again for next year.

All placed in the ground carefully the hard way: trench then hole dug with a trowel, covered up and earthed up 3 times....as the foxes kept having a little dig!  ::)

Arran Pilot is on my list again next year. Dug mine way back in May  ;)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2011, 17:50 »
What's gonna happened if you will plant spring variety of potatoes in the autumn and, opposite, autumn variety in the spring? Both of them will not meet frost, soil is normalized for potatoes.

We don't really have spring and autumn varieties; it's often the same varieties just planted at different times of the year.  The ones planted in autumn tend to be restricted to the early varieties though.

I don't understand your comment about frost.  We get frost in the UK from about October / November onwards.  So the autumn planted potatoes are very much at risk.  That is why we always advise growing them in pots which can be protected and moved under cover when it gets cold.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
Potato grow bag

Started by Give it a go on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 25, 2011, 11:54
by Poolcue
xx
potato grow bags

Started by lordthanatos on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 09, 2011, 11:00
by Kristen
xx
potato grow bags

Started by casper on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 03, 2014, 23:22
by Robster
xx
Potato grow bags

Started by tomboy on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 10, 2021, 10:08
by tomboy

Page created in 0.562 seconds with 38 queries.