Rain

• 5 Replies

SurreyLass

• Experienced Member
Rain
« on: June 16, 2011, 12:53 »
My run is situated under a great big oak tree, which shelters the girls from much of the weather. A part of the run is covered, so that there is also a dry area for heavy rain, when it gets trhough the tree - I plan to make this dry area bigger by the end of the summer so that once the leaves are off the trees for the Autumn they have even more dry space.

Top Hen goes under the shelter when its pee-ing it down, but my other hen doesnt, she just carries about her business and in the process, today, get absolutely soaked.

There is plenty of room in the dry bit, and Top Hen doesnt bully at all (she just goes to bed first and lays first it seems - she doesnt even take first pickings of any food or treats)

Is this a problem, or does one like the rain and the other doesnt? Anyone else's chickens stay out in the rain to get drenched?

evie2

Re: Rain
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 13:00 »
Ours love the rain and end up looking very bedraggled  :lol: yesterday even the 3 week old chicks were running in and out of the rain even though Star had taken them under a bush to keep dry  ::)

I guess some like rain and others don't, it won't do them any harm :D
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 13:01 by evie2 »
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

Raven81

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 13:02 »
Mine love the rain, remember they're outside animals! As long as they have some shelter they can go to in the rain if they want to then they'll be fine - in the winter when it gets cold it may be a slightly different story.
Remember the rain brings the worms to the surface - have just watched one of mine eat a huge slug!!!
The glass is neither half empty or half full - it is simply the incorrect size! Find a new glass!

Truffle

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 13:15 »
My three girls are always out in the rain even though there is the coop and an undercover run area. They live under a big horse chestnut tree and Im sure they run to the far end to get wetter ::)

I think they like it and if they are silly enough to stay out in it then I will be the last one to chase them inside.

As mentioned previously they do look very bedraggled, which is why you presumely feel concerned/sorry for them, but they are clever animals so I dont think they would stay out there if it bothered them or they didnt stand to gain something from being out there namely worms. :D

Lewjam

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 13:47 »
I have a similar situation, two of them love it but one of them runs and hides (unless mealworms are deployed!

I think its just personal preference heh
I hate signatures but love irony

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 02:13 »
It's winter here and the other day I watched my chickens out in some bitterly cold rain.  Silly girls!  Generally they stay out in light rain but go back into the coop when it comes pelting down on their wet little heads.

I'm sure some of mine like rain more than others.  Unfortunately the one Light Sussex (Pearl) who likes the rain the least, succumbs to peer pressure and stays out in the rain just because her sisters are out in it.  Pearl ends up looking very miserable and stands in the rain with her tail down waiting for the others to go in.

I just roll my eyes  ::) and let them work it out for themselves.

question
Rain,rain and more......what is the best surface to keep chickens on?

Started by mad mark on The Hen House

21 Replies
Last post May 23, 2009, 21:13
by Sopho
xx
rain...

Started by Sarah J on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post July 11, 2008, 20:10
by too many girls
xx
all this rain ......

Started by eveshamchelle on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 06, 2009, 22:58
by joyfull
xx
rain rain rain

Started by nzdunn on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 20, 2009, 11:16
by littlewitch

Page created in 0.343 seconds with 28 queries.