Crazy hen

• 4 Replies

RcahyRoo2010

Crazy hen
« on: June 16, 2011, 15:09 »
One of my hens has started laying just over a week ago.

She was disappearing for a couple of hours every day about lunch time and then suddenly reappearing in the middle of the garden. Yesterday we followed her and found a neat little nest with a clutch of 6 eggs in the neighbouring woodland. Obviously we don't want her laying there as Mr. Charlie Fox is partial to a bit of chicken, so we brought her back along with her eggs.

Today, just before she was due to lay we locked he up into the run with the other girls and she started going ballistic. She was pacing up and down the fencing of the run and making her "I am very angry noises". When we finally let he out she made for the fenceline (which has now been blocked) and continued pacing and making noises.

I have now put her into a separate coop and run, with her eggs, but she is still pacing and going mad and she doesnt think the eggs are hers. Is she in the process of going broody? Any ideas what I should do with her as it is driving me mad watching her. I feel so cruel.

Any advice is gratefully received.
Thanks in advance

Helenaj

Re: Crazy hen
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 20:39 »
If she was broody, you'd see very little of her, if anything. It seems that she has just found a very quiet spot to lay. Persevere with where you have her at the moment, she has to learn that she can't just lay anywhere and she will come around - but she'll stay as Mrs Angry for a while yet!

jinty1911

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 21:39 »
I would watch her as she sounds as if she is likely to go broody.  I have one that has been broody for weeks now and she takes maddies.  She barges into the other girls, does everything in double fast time and then takes off across the garden and  flies straight into the henhouse or fencing and lands in a heap  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: Don't know how she hasn't hurt herself yet.  :ohmy:

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 02:07 »
Sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind! 

Does the hen have somewhere nice and private to lay inside the coop?  It sounds like she might have been taking herself away to a private spot to lay and might not like laying where there are other hens around.  Make sure she can go somewhere that she won't be disturbed while laying.

Also, unless you want her to go broody, you're better not to leave her eggs in with her.  You might try a fake egg (or a golf ball) to show her where to lay, but if you leave real eggs in the nest they might get broken which can cause other problems.

RcahyRoo2010

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 07:43 »
Hi all,

Thanks for the replies. I have removed the eggs and placed the pot egg in the nest box. She is back in the main run with the girls, but has a private place to lay as the others have all long finished laying and are off foraging, by the time it comes around to her turn. But what you say about not liking the other hens around makes sense as she is always on her own.

We are away for a few days next week and I have asked the chicken-sitters to leave them all in the run instead of letting them roam, while we are away, to avoid her disappearing. I am guessing this will also give her time to forget about her secret laying spot.

I guess we will see what happens.
Thanks again :D

xx
crazy chicks!!!

Started by massa on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 16, 2010, 16:57
by Casey76
xx
Bird Crazy

Started by chicksforkicks on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 16, 2007, 13:51
by alan42
xx
wind sent my chooks crazy!

Started by djt on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post March 18, 2007, 22:49
by djt
xx
crazy chicken nugget

Started by spaulaj on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post December 16, 2007, 19:11
by spaulaj

Page created in 0.229 seconds with 36 queries.