8 week old chick with odd neck

• 5 Replies

CluckyChicken

• Experienced Member
    • Georgina's Araucanas
8 week old chick with odd neck
« on: June 15, 2011, 19:56 »
Last night when I went to shut up the babies (8 weeks old) in their hutch, I noticed one of them on its own (they are in a double tiered rabbit hutch with an extra run).  It was upstairs, and its head wasn't at the right angle.  It's like its neck had twisted round and its head was just lying on its back.  It's not just flopped- it's held.
I put it back outside after some looking at it, and I also tried softly bending the neck back the right way, but I didn't want to hurt it!  The beak is sticking in the air, and it does the gasping thing quite a lot.
I felt its croup, and it is half full, and it looks like it has drunk something.  When it was outside it seemed fine, but the neck still looked like it protruded a little bit.  It was eating grass and pecking the ground, but the moment it stopped whatever it was doing, the head went back again. 
I don't know what to do!  I really want to help it, but I don't want to hurt it.  If anyone can help, please please do!!  :( :( :( :( :( :( :(
Lavender Araucanas, SS Hamburgs, White Wyandottes and Italian Quail

Helenaj

Re: 8 week old chick with odd neck
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 14:34 »
It sounds as if your chick has wry neck.  It looks very peculiar and sometimes they even run around in circles. It's usually caused by a Vitamin E deficiency, so go to your chemist and get Vitamin E gel capsules (has to be gel). Cut the top off a capsule and gently drip the contents into her mouth - it's a very messy job! You'll need to do this for about 7 days, maybe even longer, but it does tend to work. Keep a close eye on her to make sure she is eating and drinking as sometimes the wry is so severe it prevents them feeding. You may not get rid of the wryness fully - it depends on how severe it is, so after the treatment you will need to assess what quality of life she will have and act accordingly. If you do a search on here and on the net you'll find plenty of info about it.

l have a 3 week old that developed it and she still has a little wryness, but she is boss of her group and it hasn't affected her mobility at all.

Best of luck

Best of luck.

SoniaBA

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 20:06 »
Hows the chick Clucky?

CluckyChicken

• Experienced Member
    • Georgina's Araucanas
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 20:39 »
Thanks guys, well I am going to try the Vitamin E Helenaj.  I hope it works, she is such a sweet girl.  I brought her inside, and it has been suggested by our friend (a poultry keeper for 30 years who has never seen this) that it may be Mareks.  The thing is, I think the birds have been inbred for a while, and the guy we got them from needs to bring in new blood.  We had one die for no apparent reason, and one with surled in toes. 
Anyway, I will give the Vitamin E a go, and will keep you all updated.
Thank you xxx

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 20:51 »
fingers crossed for the little one and yes vitamin E is supposed to really help  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

SoniaBA

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 20:55 »
You can go on U Tube and look up a poultry illness. There are many clips showing how each may act with certain ailments.
Not very pretty i know but then at least you may get a better idea. Will be able to at least show what to look for in some cases even if not the one you have x

xx
chick with twisted neck

Started by raeburg on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post April 17, 2010, 16:28
by joyfull
xx
5 week chick

Started by Jeanette on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 12, 2010, 15:04
by Jeanette
xx
3 week old chick

Started by Craigx on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post March 25, 2012, 20:11
by joyfull
xx
Sick 7 week old chick. Help.

Started by flocko on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post October 13, 2007, 12:13
by flocko

Page created in 0.36 seconds with 37 queries.