MUTANT FEET!!

• 13 Replies

featherhead

• I love her.
MUTANT FEET!!
« on: June 14, 2011, 17:34 »
Has anybody had a chicken with feet like these before??!!
Is this a problem? And is it likely my chicken may have other problems internally since it's, well, a freak? It seems happy enough but is very happy being handled, so I don't know if that means it's a bit lathargic or if it's used to being handled because the woman who sold it to me may have been inspecting it's feet a lot (but she didn't point them out to me.)

Also does anybody know what breed this chicken is likely to be? I was told it is a white Orpington, but I'm not so sure, it's tail seems too prominent and it is slightly flighty..
freaky feet edit 1.jpg
freaky chicken what breed edit 1.jpg
There's no place like home <3

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: MUTANT FEET!!
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 17:48 »
It doesn't look like any orpington that I've ever seen and orpingtons don't have feathers on their feet.

If she can walk about and scratch in the dirt and doesn't seem to be in pain she should have a good life ahead of her :)

Raven81

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 19:10 »
I have both a cat and a guinea pig with deformed feet! :unsure: The cat has other health problems but the guinea pig is healthy in every other way.  If it seems happy I wouldn't worry too much about it. Simply out of my own curiosity I would do some research anyway.
The glass is neither half empty or half full - it is simply the incorrect size! Find a new glass!

evie2

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 19:39 »
I think she looks very pretty and unique :D
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

bantam novice

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 19:40 »
If she is not in pain and doing all the chickeny things I would not worry too much.  Good Luck!  I agree with Evie2 that she looks lovely
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 19:46 »
I wouldn't worry either but perhaps it would be a good idea to steer clear of that breeder in future as your Orpington doesn't look anything like a pure breed should.

OpiumEater

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 21:15 »
That's not an Orpington surely! I thought they were fluffier.

Alice - Australorp
Bernadette - Barnevelder
Dora - Silver Grey Dorking
LilliBet - Cream Leg Bar

Colernehens

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 22:15 »
We have 5 Orpingtons and 6 chicks (all of which are meant to be Orpington, but are not) and I can assure you feathered feet are not Orps feet. One of chicks has turned out to have feathered feet and the breeder thinks it a Braham chick that has got mixed up. So I guess yours could be a Braham?

chrissy

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2011, 22:33 »
I have 2 silky crosses (goldtops) and they both have similar feet to that and they are fine.

CluckyChicken

• Experienced Member
    • Georgina's Araucanas
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2011, 08:20 »
I had a chick hatch out witht he toes crocked.  Now at 8 weeks old she is fine, still runs around with the others.  I agree- if your bird seems fine, then there shouldn't be anything to worry about  :) :) :)
Lavender Araucanas, SS Hamburgs, White Wyandottes and Italian Quail

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2011, 09:09 »
Some of the chicks we rear from day old have crooked feet, but they seem fine.

She actually looks like one of our Bovans White (aka White Stars) but they don't have feathered feet either!

Mind you saying that, the Bovans are smoother coated.  Yours looks a bit fluffy
bovans white.jpg
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 09:10 by GrannieAnnie »

trinamc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2011, 09:31 »
Nice looking bird but I don't think it's an orpington, I have buffs, gold lace and black orpington's they are a bigger bird and very fluffy, they do not have any feathers on there legs . As long as she is happy and doing the things that chickens do I would not worry about her but I would not go back to that breeder. :)

Casey76

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2011, 14:46 »
Another one for "not an orpington" even with the feathered shanks, she has the wrong colour legs for a white orp!

I'd say she has some silkie in her background.  Silkies normallyhave 5 toes, but I've seen them with up to 8 or 9!, and they look just like the toes on the top pic.

Extra toes don't harm a chicken, and several breed have more than four toes.  It is also common to have have feathering on the legs and feet, depending on the breed.

Neither the extra toe(s) nor the feathers on her legs and feet will stop her having a full and productive life

featherhead

• I love her.
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2011, 19:56 »
Thanks for all the replies! :)
My beautiful freak is getting on fine. She is super soft so maybe she is some sort of silkie crossbreed. I'll post another pic in a few months when she's fully grown.
The same breeder also sold me a wyandotte that has a couple feathers on her legs - so may not be a wyandotte! I think I've been taken for a mug as these are my first chickens.. But nevermind, I love my girls regardless :) of course!

xx
Weird Mutant Eggs

Started by bedifferent on The Hen House

38 Replies
Last post May 22, 2008, 21:06
by Aunt Sally
xx
Feet!!

Started by Sazzle on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post May 13, 2008, 18:51
by Hawthorne
xx
Feet !

Started by Jo57 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post August 10, 2013, 08:53
by ehs284
xx
Silkie Feet

Started by darrena on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 12, 2010, 23:40
by woodburner

Page created in 0.184 seconds with 29 queries.