Eggs Taste "Mucky"

• 9 Replies

The Goods

Eggs Taste "Mucky"
« on: June 01, 2011, 12:42 »
Hello everyone, are you able to help me with a problem to do with my eggs? 

I have three ex bats, with only one laying, so I know its the same girlie who's eggs we are eating.  The problem is that the egg yolks taste only what I can describe as "Mucky"  It is such a strong taste that I have stopped eating the eggs.

Does anyone know why this may be?  I thought that since we have had the girls now for 9 months that their eggs would look richer, and taste better but they dont.

I have only just started to notice this "mucky" taste in the last couple of months.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Eggs Taste "Mucky"
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 13:01 »
if her eggs are very porous this might be part of the problem, also it can depend on the feed, I have noticed in the past - before getting my own girls and I used to buy eggs off other people - that some can taste fishy depending on what make of feed they are on).
Staffies are softer than you think.

The Goods

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 13:48 »
We feed them on layers pellets with some corn in the afternoon and sometimes greens/fruit.

I have been getting advise from your forum re the eggs shells being so thin, but nothing seems to be working so far..

Do you have anything i could try? 

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 14:03 »
what brand of feed are you using?

The Goods

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 14:14 »
It says it small holders ex-bats layers pellets.  Its a brown sack with light blue on it.  Will that make a difference to the eggs? 

I also by this other stuff from a corn chandler near where my parents live, they say its layers mash but it smells like it got bran in to.  I boil up some potatoes and mix this layers mash stuff in to it.  The girls seem to love it, especially on cold mornings. 

Joy, am I doing this all wrong?   :(

mobilekat

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 15:05 »
Chickens are a bit like cows (OK that sounds wrong I know), but for both poultry and cows what they eat can affect what they produce.

The farmer who used to be next to my grans had to tip a fair amount of milk away one day as the girls got out, and into the local woods in the spring and ate the wild garlic.... Garlicky milk was not good!

Chicken are the same, so the chances are its something she eats, which may be something you are not aware she is eating!

Very often quite lost- would be more lost if I could work out where I was!- But always find my way home.....

Helenaj

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 15:38 »
I also think it is something they are eating - do they free range at all? If so, I think you need to look at what they are eating. If you have the time, sit around with them for a few hours and just observe what they eat. Hens seem to find palatable plants we wouldn't dream they would eat, so that's the best way to start.
Also, check their feed and feeders - do they smell fresh. I once opened a bag of feed that had gone off and it smelt awful and feeders can go rancid pretty quickly if the weather is damp and warm. You also mention that they have greens - some can taint the eggs.

Unfortunately, it's a case of elimination. If they do free range and you think it may be a particular plant, either cordon it off or don't let them range for a couple of days so that the taint is purged. You may need to remove a particular plant if that is the cause. Some bark chippings (the not child friendly type) contain preservative that can be ingested.

Keep us posted on developments.

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 06:46 »
I agree about the likelyhood of it being food-related.  More specifically some hens have a genetic pre-disposition to laying tainted eggs when they eat certain foods. 

I read an article recently about some producers of commercial hybrids who claim to have bred out the gene that causes the fishy-smelling eggs.  The fishy smell is only activated when fish meal is included as part of their feed, but it is often included because it's a cheap and easy way of adding animal proteins.

So these are the steps I would take if it were me:
1) Look at the ingredients on the feed bag.  If fish meal is included, change to another brand for a while and see if it makes a difference.
2) Keep the hens confined for a while and only feed them on their (fish free) commercial feed.
3) Gradually introduce other feed, one thing at a time, and see if something makes a difference.

This could all take a while but if it allows you to eat your own eggs again, it may be worth it!

The Goods

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2011, 16:45 »
I've read whats on the packet and it says that it has

Omega 3 & 6 Oils
Elevated Calcuim
Boosted Vitamin E
Herbs - Nettle, Fenugreek & Garlic

My girls unfortunatley have never been able to free range as we have a mother fox and cubs that often come to our garden which we cant seem to stop...And worry about my girls getting attacked, so we have them in a 17 foot run that is completly covered. 

I have taken some photographs of the eggs but not sure how to down load for you to see.  Cleaned them out yesterday and found one normal seized egg and one not much bigger than a 2p. 

Geo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2011, 22:55 »
you need to change their feed. The omega 3 and garlic will give them a strong flavour.
Mine are on farmgate and the eggs taste good

xx
Duck eggs giving off "gas"

Started by Rubellite on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post June 13, 2009, 17:27
by Rubellite
xx
Tiny "fairy" eggs?

Started by sheridan on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 13, 2011, 21:11
by CluckyChicken
xx
"rough" eggs

Started by violet on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post October 10, 2008, 15:51
by poultrygeist
xx
Making home-made "peck-blocks"

Started by Helenaj on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post July 08, 2011, 23:26
by hardygeranium

Page created in 0.255 seconds with 37 queries.