who do you give your "spares" to?

• 25 Replies

cooperman

• Experienced Member
  • glass bottle bottle glass
who do you give your "spares" to?
« on: May 29, 2011, 23:47 »
I always grow (intentionally) far too much stuff to use but always have a steady queue of willing recipient, namely neighbours, work colleagues and fellow allotmenteers.....

I actually should set up a stall outside the house and sell some off - now THERES a good idea....
Death OR Cake ???

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: who do you give your "spares" to?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 23:49 »
It gives me much more pleasure to give my excess produce away than it would to sell it.  If you sell things you have customers - who needs them  :wacko:

aqua

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 23:57 »
i give them to my mum and my friends. i don't have much money so it is something to enjoy giving.

I also give away jam and pickle.

Salmo

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 00:09 »
The easy solution may be to give up half your plot?

Robster

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 04:44 »
I am like Aqua.  It gives me great pleasure to give away.  I always sow a lot of plants for justin (case) and give away plants to friends.  Especially those starting out.  Crops to friends, my oldest daughter and to Granny (MIL) who can't get out very much.

I have also started kind of trading.  I recently swapped a lot of plants for 4 pounds of honey- The deal- I make a gallon of mead and give half to my friend

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 05:49 »
I don't like selling stuff.

My excess & home-made jams etc. goes down to church coffee mornings. I never price it, or supervise the table, I just leave I just leave it unattended for "donations" which go to the church.

I find that people give more than if they were asked for a price and can easily clear £1,000 a year - none of which goes to me.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2011, 06:41 »
What my sister doesn't want OH takes to work for anyone who wants them.

Kagganz

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2011, 06:50 »
I Freecycle mine,

I like to think that some, who haven't tried growing their own before, will get bitten by the bug and carry it on,

did it a couple of years ago (over 90 tomato plants I had!) well it was my first year and I'm still friends with a couple of the women Freecyclers that I met.  :D

Grubbypaws

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2011, 09:09 »
I dont know!

Last year I left my 'extra' courgettes out the front with a note 'free to a good home' and a description of what variety they were. I then popped out to the shops. When I returned they had gone.

We think it was probably the dustbin men which is great  :)  Like Kagganz it would be nice to think that someone who hadn't grown their own before was going to be rearing my lovely yellow courgettes.

I will do the same again this year. Is that Freecycling ?

Nige2Plots

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2011, 09:14 »
I work on the principle, that " One good turn deserves another "

Charl89

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2011, 10:25 »
over here in the channel islands we have alot of heg veg at the side of our little roads. any extras i am having i will be selling so it can fund towards my allotment fee. last year i gave extras to friends but all my family grow there own anyways.
recently where i live they have set up a veg market for any of us who wanna sell extra veg to the locals. which i thought was very good.

mobilekat

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2011, 10:41 »
We tend to share within the family, on an informal barter system.

I gave gran 10lbs of plums, she gave my plum jam, plum chutney and a lecture on thinning the tree out even more (got to love grans!)

I tend to grow different crops to my uncle (he has LOTS of space) so we swap things too. I have a few baby Petit Posies that are off to see him soon!
Very often quite lost- would be more lost if I could work out where I was!- But always find my way home.....

TheSpartacat

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2011, 14:06 »
Give things away to friends in the hope they'll start growing.

We also have a surplus table at our allotment. If you have a surplus of something, you just leave it there for the other allotment holders... and they in turn, when they next have a surplus, will leave it there too- so its not a strict "trade".. more of a 'pay it forward' kinda thing.
It's particularly great for newbies on the site, when they get their plot late in the year and don't get to enjoy a harvest- they can still get to sample home grown veg and it encourages them to stick at it so they can do the same the following year. :) And it encourages people to try grow new veg and varieties that they haven't tasted before
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 14:07 by TheSpartacat »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2011, 15:01 »
we do the same...spare plants, spare seeds and spare harvest.

Even spare pots and spare cheapo seed trays & modules that have seen better days ;)

starry

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2011, 16:39 »
when I have had enough of my runner beans I usually tell my neighbours to help themselves and this year any excess plants have gone to the nursing home that my mum now lives in, as they have some lovely raised beds but nothing to go in them!
some people are like slinkys......they're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face as you push them down the stairs!!

xx
Are you a seed "chitting" or "no-chit" sort of person?

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

45 Replies
Last post July 09, 2013, 12:00
by crh75
xx
Can you give me advice "Weeds & Veg"

Started by bighomer on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 17, 2008, 10:56
by compostqueen
xx
Onion "Radar" and "Electric"

Started by freefolk on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 26, 2017, 16:39
by freefolk
xx
brassica's need moving(""edited"")

Started by vegikev on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 15, 2008, 13:03
by gobs

Page created in 0.881 seconds with 33 queries.