Can you give me advice "Weeds & Veg"

• 8 Replies

bighomer

« on: June 15, 2008, 12:48 »
Hi,
I am new to planting veg or anything come to that,
After rotavating a small plot I have planted cabbage ,Carrots ,Basil and some others,

My problem is the weeds have over taken the small seedlings, is it too late in the seasonn to weedkill all my plot and start again

Or do i need to bite the bullet annd try and decide what is plant and what is weeds.

Thanks in advance
Bighomer

gobs

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2008, 21:03 »
Weeding, it's called. You do this regularly, throughout the year, hoe or fingers are the best, most common tools. :wink:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 21:08 »
thats the * about weeds,
they come back  :cry:
and in abundance!  Youve already rotavated,and that can bring em back with a vengeance for a while, now you have to weed by hand (and you will always have to weed by hand or hoe forever more :-( )
Weedkiller will kill everything you have planted, so dont waste the hard work, and get the hoe or the hand out
I promise itll get (slightly!) easier the more you do it:-)
Good luck

Paula
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

shaun

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008, 21:14 »
the thing is once you have prepared you seed bed by hand or with a rotavator,you need to leave it for a week or 2 before you sow anything.let the weed seeds germinate then just rub your rake over the top killing all the young weeds,then sow your seeds.
werks for me everytime  :wink:
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

Tigerhair

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2008, 21:17 »
It's quite therapeutic, weeding, once you get in there and sorted, it takes less than 10 mins per day and it's nice slicing their optimistic little heads off!!!

corndolly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2008, 23:12 »
Excellant advice Shaun, I think we are all guilty of preparing the soil and then planting it asap,thinking thats it job done.If only we had the patience to wait and hoe off the weeds that come through , it minimises the weed problems later when the veg are sown/planted.
Growing organic fruit and vegetables

chicken soup

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2008, 23:29 »
Quote from: "corndolly"
Excellant advice Shaun, I think we are all guilty of preparing the soil and then planting it asap,thinking thats it job done.If only we had the patience to wait and hoe off the weeds that come through , it minimises the weed problems later when the veg are sown/planted.

Wish I had known that before. I planted two rows of carrots and the weeds came up and because I was unsure of what was weed and what was carrot left them a week or two.  Hubby then decided to weed them for me saying he knew the difference.  Well two nights ago I was looking at the two rows of carrots and guess what I had......... a row of carrots and a nice straight row of weeds, was hubby embarrased   :lol:  :lol:
40 hens, 8 cockerels, 3 dogs, 2 rabbits, 8 chinchillas, 2 teenage daughters and O/H

bighomer

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2008, 00:18 »
Is it too late in the year to start again and heed a little advice given about letting the weeds come through and then plat after hoeing them off
Thanks
David

compostqueen

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2008, 10:56 »
no it's not too late  :D

xx
Wild "weeds" nearby - a problem or a good thing?

Started by bb_odiham on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 16, 2008, 19:53
by bb_odiham
xx
Are you a seed "chitting" or "no-chit" sort of person?

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

45 Replies
Last post July 09, 2013, 12:00
by crh75
xx
Broad ("Fava") Beans down south in the USA, Y'all (advice?)

Started by Subversive_plot on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 14, 2022, 01:03
by Subversive_plot
xx
who do you give your "spares" to?

Started by cooperman on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post June 05, 2011, 23:29
by Zippy

Page created in 0.443 seconds with 28 queries.