Broad ("Fava") Beans down south in the USA, Y'all (advice?)

• 6 Replies

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
OK, so this will be a bit of a challenge.  But I like challenges!

I blame it on some form of divine intervention (or interference, or whatever . . .).  I was minding my own business at our only garden center (that is not a chain home improvement store).  I stopped to pick up a small bag of super phosphate, and walked past the seed rack (dangerous) when I saw it:  "Bean, Fava, Heirloom, Broad Windsor", for sale in the Deep South.  Georgia gardening expert Walter Reeves says on his website that a friend has tried growing fava beans and had given up after killing them several times.  Walter leaves without proposing a how-to, and ends with "Try them where you live and let me know!"

The intervention (or interference): Why would these seeds be in the garden center if I wasn't supposed to try growing them?

Game Plan
So, I know that broad beans hate it if it's too hot, or too cold. Temperature above 80 F (27 C) is not good, and below 15 F (-9 C) is also fatal.  365 days of the year, I could exceed either of those, but I have the lowest chance of exceeding that range if I try planting in early October (I'm trying to ignore that it has been 100 F (38 C) in early October, just a couple years ago).  It is not unusual to get into early December without a frost, and most of those are just below freezing.  Real cold mostly comes in January and February.  I might get a little harvest, and in a really mild winter, they could winter over until spring.

I view it as a good sign that the packet, which is supposed to have just 10 seeds, actually has 16.

In my favor, rhubarb is not supposed to grow in Georgia either, and my rhubarb is growing very well despite the heat.

Any hints or suggestions for success?  Are the suggested temperature ranges above likely to be realistic?  Would 16 seeds be too small to grow a useful quantity of beans (meaning enough for an occasional side dish here and there).
« Last Edit: June 04, 2022, 19:21 by Subversive_plot »
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
Re: Broad ("Fava") Beans down south in the USA, Y'all (advice?)
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2022, 21:09 »
I guess you get more than enough daylight hours even in winter at you longitude so growing them overwinter would probably work. If you have a really cold night coming you could always wrap them in fleece overnight to protect them.

Growster...

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2022, 06:22 »
Yes, P1P, I've often wondered why that shouldn't work, and also the same with runners (I think you call them ''pole beans', SubP)!

I know our relations a bit further North couldn't get them to grow which is a shame, as over here, they're a staple as far as we're concerned!

I seem to remember that you have a lot of trees around your garden, SubP; do they make a difference with the light?

hasbeans

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2022, 10:23 »
I wouldn't expect too much from 16 seeds - enough to let you know whether it's worth the effort in future but no more than a few small portions.  This year mine were flowering while the stems had a couple inches of snow round them and they survived and produced a modest crop.  Growing against something with good thermal mass like a wall or big rock might help them through chillier nights if the days are bright. Wind can easily knock them over, I plant them close to lean on each other and support the edges with string.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2022, 11:19 »
Yes, P1P, I've often wondered why that shouldn't work, and also the same with runners (I think you call them ''pole beans', SubP)!

I know our relations a bit further North couldn't get them to grow which is a shame, as over here, they're a staple as far as we're concerned!

I seem to remember that you have a lot of trees around your garden, SubP; do they make a difference with the light?

Mr. G, the trees do provide shade part of the year,  but we start getting leaf drop in  October, it shouldn't be a problem by late November.

Hasbeans, I might go back to that shop sometime, and see if they have one more packet of seed.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2022, 11:21 by Subversive_plot »

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2022, 15:48 »

Mr. G., pole beans here are French beans Phaseolus vulgaris that have runners long enough to climb a bean pole. They grow in the heat, but are killed by a frost.  I have Kentucky Wonder pole beans growing right now.

We also have French beans that we call bush beans, growing on much shorter plants. My Cherokee wax beans are of this type (they climb a little, with short runners, so are sometimes called half runners, which is confusing.

What we call runner beans Phaseolus coccineus are mostly grown in the northernmost US states, and are typically used as shelled beans.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2022, 17:41 by Subversive_plot »

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2022, 01:03 »
I did manage to get into the garden center and pick up a few more seeds.  In for a penny, in for a pound!

xx
P.S.B. "n" peas "n"beans

Started by teflon on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 14, 2009, 14:58
by teflon
xx
Are you a seed "chitting" or "no-chit" sort of person?

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

45 Replies
Last post July 09, 2013, 12:00
by crh75
xx
Dwarf Beans "The Prince"

Started by lovemyveg on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 02, 2009, 18:45
by lovemyveg
xx
Can you give me advice "Weeds & Veg"

Started by bighomer on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 17, 2008, 10:56
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.48 seconds with 35 queries.