our allotment competition

• 5 Replies

teasmade!

• 3rd Pumpkin Contest 2011
our allotment competition
« on: May 28, 2011, 19:50 »
hi, well we have only had our allotment since october and didn't realise that they did competitions but they are. we have decided to enter as they have a ' first year beginners catergory' (actually getting quite excited :D)

the only thing is on the criteria it mentions flowers but we don't know what sort of flowers that would be best to plant, obviously we don't want to put anything in that will take over also herbs and i know some of these can take over.

so what should we plant ? this will also help us for the future, we just haven't got to flowers and herbs yet. any help greatfully recieved
dig dig dig dig digging, rid me of those little weeds....

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: our allotment competition
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 20:04 »
When is the competition?  I think you're likely to be struggling to get anything to flowering stage from seed started now, unless the competition is Sept onwards.

For future years, I'd suggest sweet peas, sunflowers, dahlias, marigolds, cosmos for starters
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 20:05 »
Not all herbs are invasive. Sage, rosemary, oregano and parsley are pretty easy to control and very useful herbs. Mint and chives you have to be careful with, but you can always enclose them in something so they can't spread. Bay and basil are useful and non-invasive but basil won't live through the winter and bay can be a little bit tender.

Which flowers really depends on whether you just want something pretty or something with a purpose. You could try some companion planting, like nasturtiums or tagetes to help the veggies. Some sweet peas growing up the runner bean canes would look lovely. And some flowers can be eaten (for example nasturtiums).

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 20:07 »
Have you seen the number of blackfly that nasturtium always seems to attract  :ohmy:

Added protein for the plate  :D

Babstreefern

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 20:15 »
First of all, be careful of nasturtiums.  They can be invasive.  When the flowers are dying off, they drop loads of their seeds, and next year you get, yes you've guessed, nasturtiums - they come up everywhere :(.  Birds tend to pick up the seeds and drop them anywhere :wacko:.

I have some flowers/flowing bushes, eg, hydranga, peonies, usual bulbs both spring and summer ones, irises, clematis (a Josephine one, which is a double-headed one and is looking beautiful at the moment), and snapdragons (I just love those) :D.
Babs

teasmade!

• 3rd Pumpkin Contest 2011
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 20:28 »
Thanks for all the replys thats a great start, sadly as you are quite right its only 3 weeks to judging but we love our plot soooo much don't mind spending a bit of money on it as we are very proud of what we have achieved so far. (can't believe how much energy we put into it but always go home chuffed :D)

thats brilliant now off to market to buy some herbs and flowers  :D :D (even if they are small at least thay should recognise them as flowers :unsure:)

xx
Gardening Competition

Started by Elcie on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post June 17, 2010, 10:03
by harry
xx
Competition Carrots

Started by Ma and Pa Snip on Grow Your Own

35 Replies
Last post February 08, 2011, 17:49
by Ma and Pa Snip
xx
pumpkin competition ?

Started by Y.E.A.H on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 01, 2010, 18:54
by Aunt Sally
xx
would like to enter pumpkin competition but......

Started by brewerboy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 09, 2013, 20:25
by brewerboy

Page created in 0.445 seconds with 30 queries.