Do new chicks need vaccinations?

• 4 Replies

curries

• Experienced Member
Do new chicks need vaccinations?
« on: May 28, 2011, 19:45 »
Hi, I have my first brood of chicks due on Wednesday and I just wondered whether they will need vaccinating or any other specific things I should think about.  I have some chick crumbs but that's about as far as I have taken it.  Any advise would be great.  Thanks :nowink:
I dog, 1 cat, 1 horse, 1 Light Sussex, 2 Speckledys, 2 Cuckoo Maran:)

bantam novice

Re: Do new chicks need vaccinations?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 21:39 »
So long as you have medicated chick crumbs you should be OK.  As I understand it (and I am new to this myself) vaccinations can only be bought in large batches suitable for large flocks and they go out of date quite quickly.  It doesn't make sense unless you keep chickens on a large scale.  I have not vaccinated my chicks. 
Good luck with your chicks and keep us posted...not forgetting the obligatory pictures  :)
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

Sassy

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 09:12 »
Agree with bantam novice. If you did decide to go down the vaccination route there are lots of things to vaccinate against and this does not necessarily prevent them getting whatever.

Vaccinations are used in commercial concerns because of the unnatural way they are kept and the quantities of livestock in a small area. If your housekeeping is good and your chooks are kept on  a good quality balanced ration, :) you are careful where you get your stock from and quarantine new stock before introducing to existing stock you should be fine. Of course it is still possible for them to get sick but it would be even if they had been vaccinated.
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

curries

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 09:18 »
Thanks all, the chick crumbs are Dodson and Horrell but it doesn't say whether they are medicated or not.  Presumably I will be o.k. with a trusted brand though.  Only two days to go  :D

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 10:38 »
The medication you get in the feed will be labelled ACS, it's an anti coccidiostat, to help prevent coccidiosis.  And if you got your chicks from a proper hatchery, they should have been vaccinated against Mareks.

But like Sassy said, even fully vaccinated chickens can still die of something.  Just keep them healthy and properly fed and fingers crossed you will have them for ages.

xx
Vaccinations

Started by Kate and her Ducks on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post April 26, 2009, 17:03
by GrannieAnnie
question
where to get Vaccinations?

Started by uktitan on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post February 01, 2011, 19:02
by Casey76
xx
Vaccinations?

Started by mickwood on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 13, 2008, 16:45
by mickwood
xx
VACCINATIONS!!

Started by chickenlady on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post August 31, 2008, 23:02
by chickenlady

Page created in 0.245 seconds with 27 queries.