Dorset naga germination?... :(

• 15 Replies

matilda333

Dorset naga germination?... :(
« on: May 28, 2011, 12:37 »
Hello all..

I would like to ask if anyone has grown dorset naga chillis from seed successfully?

I recently bought some seeds and diligently planted under a propagator outside but to no avail :( not even a hint of seelings... I must admit i was a little slack in tending to the seeds, so thought i would try a second attempt.

So, with the thoughts of super hot chillis I eagerly had another go with these seeds, under a propagator again but this time keeping the seeds inside, hoping less fluctuating temperatures may help. But still nothing....  :unsure:

Does anyone have any tips on how to grow these seeds successfully? I am wondering whether soaking the seeds before planting would help, or perhaps the seeds are just too old? I did buy this year so I would have thought they would be fine, but I guess you never know..

Any tips or insightful knowledge appreciated as always, thanks guys  :D

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: Dorset naga germination?... :(
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 12:56 »
Mine didn't germinate this year.  I did get germination last year, but as I didn't look after them properly, they all died!

I'm useless at times!  My Scotch bonnets are doing okay, but they were a second sowing too!

matilda333

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 13:23 »
Hmm was there anything you did differently GrannieAnnie last year to this year?....

I have been successful with some other types of chilli's and peppers that I've planted this year, but none are as potent as the nagas!

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 13:30 »
If anything, I tried to be more careful this year!  Tried not to forget to water them, maybe watered them a bit too much, but in the modules I planted them in, some went a little green on top which shows too much water, but other modules in the same tray were too dry, even though I watered them the same!

And they were only last year's seeds, so should have been okay!

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 13:31 »
I'm trying Fatallii for the first time this year, and they're incredibly slow growing. I sowed them on 22nd Jan, they germinated in about 10 days and have been potted on, but four months on they're still only about 2 inches high :)

My superchillis sowed at the same time are about 10 inches high and have flowers and fruit on them.

Epona_4

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 13:43 »
ive had a total crop failure with my chillis (around 7 different varieties) i had to resort to *choke buying one from garden centre! :(

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2011, 13:50 »
We can't seem to get chocolate habanero to germinate here. None last year and none this. Are hotter chilli varieties more difficult to get going or did we get a dodgy batch of seeds?  :nowink:
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2011, 13:52 »
I think they are difficult to germinate without heat.

I start my chillis in a heated prop on a table next to the window, even so they are not the quickest things, and sometimes take weeks to germinate :(

This site has some tips
http://www.thechileman.org/guide_starting.php
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 13:53 by mumofstig »

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2011, 14:00 »
We have no problems with other varieties, just these hotter ones. We'll get some new seeds next year and try again anyway. :)

Lardman

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2011, 14:14 »
Hmm was there anything you did differently GrannieAnnie last year to this year?....

If they were the same seeds I sent Grannie for last year its probably because the age of the seeds. They were from 2006 !

They're slow to germinate and need plenty of heat, I scatter a liberal handful of seeds from 2006 in a pot at the start of the year and had about 30% germinate.

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2011, 15:28 »
I never have problems with germinating chillis. All I do is stick them in pots on the worktop near the boiler and they come up pretty quick there, but I never use a propagator or anything like that. Cayenne and Superchilli I always find very easy to grow on and last year I got a massive crop from them, but clearly Fatallii are a much more difficult variety so I doubt I'll get much from them.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2011, 15:36 »
Even cayenne seeds don't last forever; the germination of the 3 year old packet of seeds I used this year (the seeds themselves will be around 4 years old) was down to around 50%.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 15:38 by JayG »
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

matilda333

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2011, 16:09 »

If they were the same seeds I sent Grannie for last year its probably because the age of the seeds. They were from 2006 !

They're slow to germinate and need plenty of heat, I scatter a liberal handful of seeds from 2006 in a pot at the start of the year and had about 30% germinate.

no, these ones weren't from Grannie, and I'm hoping they werent from back as far as 2006!!!!

matilda333

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2011, 16:13 »
Its reassuring to hear that its not just me that is having trouble with the hotter varieties!!

I think i might try a few different germination methods as a bit of an experiment... better put the kettle on!! :D

mobilekat

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2011, 16:44 »
I have never bought chilli seeds, instead I have always grown them from the chillis I have had to eat, and the germination is normally great. (have baby scotch bonnets growing this year)

I know from what the guys at the local chilli farm say, that the germination can be very patchy and they say some varieties take up to 5 weeks to get their act together!

So if you can give them a bit more time, it may be worth waiting, think the longest I have known was about 2 months- I had forgotten they were there until little heads popped up- then lots appeared together!
Very often quite lost- would be more lost if I could work out where I was!- But always find my way home.....

clip
Dorset Naga

Started by nate987 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post February 21, 2018, 18:05
by Aidy
xx
Dorset Naga chillies

Started by noshed on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 30, 2011, 01:30
by Endymion
xx
Dorset Naga Chilli

Started by Sven on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post October 13, 2009, 00:38
by Ras Skipper
xx
Naga Chilli Problem

Started by Dai on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post July 28, 2013, 17:26
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.671 seconds with 30 queries.