Anti-climb fencing

• 4 Replies

Helenaj

Anti-climb fencing
« on: May 25, 2011, 13:23 »
Hello all,
 I'm in the process of fox-proofing another compound so that I can move my girls to pastures green. I've used anti-climb security fencing around the compound (sometimes called Enviromesh or Heras fencing), to deter the two legged variety of thief, but was wondering how fox proof this type of fencing is. My question is - can foxes climb this type of fencing or jump it as it's 2.1m high? I've foxed-proofed the bottom half of the panels and ground area but was wondering about the top as I've read some complete horror stories on here about the climbing capabilities of foxes. I can't mesh the whole area over as it's too big (40mx40m). I was going to wrap barbed wire around the top of the fence, but if it's too high for Mr Foxy, then I won't bother. Any views/advice greatfully received.

Sassy

Re: Anti-climb fencing
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 09:13 »
Unfortunately some foxes can jump that high! you could try a single strand of electric fence or even plain wire placed at a 45 degree angle on top of the outside of the fence. Hope I've explained this so that it is understandable?! :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Helenaj

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 15:41 »
Sassy, thanks for the advice. I'll have a look over the weekend for some type of angle iron that we can fix to the top of the fencing and I'll wrap the whole top half with barbed wire. My new compound is a little haven for them - lots of greenery, things to climb and perch on, but it's in quite a rural area and we have seen fox tracks there last winter in the snow. Last thing I want is to lose my girls!

Sassy

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 08:18 »
I would be concerned about using barbed wire. It is not unknown for even chooks with a clipped wing to still get on top of 6 ft fences :ohmy:

Helenaj

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 13:35 »
I'll see if I can put chicken wire around the top with a lower panel of rolled barbed wire on the bottom outside. That should keep one lot in and the other out!

xx
Can chickens climb?

Started by gavin9900 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 12, 2009, 09:59
by Allotment_Guy
xx
Can foxes climb

Started by Fredjones on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post December 12, 2009, 23:10
by CWatters
xx
Can foxes climb

Started by agapanthus on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post October 19, 2007, 21:08
by agapanthus
xx
Anti-inflammatory gel

Started by chickenlicken on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 24, 2009, 22:34
by chickenlicken

Page created in 0.35 seconds with 28 queries.