Night times

• 20 Replies

Raven81

Night times
« on: May 24, 2011, 21:06 »
This is a really odd question, but I went to put the chickens back in their coop as it was getting cold (they will have a heater in the winter), and I had no idea how to do it. My partner helped and managed it quickly (in fact he just had to walk out the door and 2 went in!) but obviously he won't always be here.

The problem I have is that I am terrified of birds, I thought I'd be ok with chickens and was till they started flapping their wings! I'll be ok when I get used to them, but is there a way to get them in without touching them?? I guess I'm hoping they'll learn when I say "its bed time" like the dog did!!!!
The glass is neither half empty or half full - it is simply the incorrect size! Find a new glass!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Night times
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 21:09 »
first of all they do not need a heater in winter - they come fitted with their own feather duvets  ;).
As for getting used to them - you will - I used to hate their beady eyes and other people hate their scaly legs but then we spend ages watching their little amusing ways and forget our fears.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 21:20 »
Have a read of this old thread about chickens keeping warm. :)

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=48943.0
Cheese makes everything better.

Raven81

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 21:25 »
Thanks guys, my other half was looking at heaters, but I think that was in case we got newborn chicks (the name which I know perfectly well doesn't come to mind ATM), so maybe we won't get them one then!!!

orchardlady

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 21:58 »
The easiest way with chickens at bed time is simply to wait until almost dark. You will then find that they have put themselves to bed, no need to touch them at all.

To try to get over your bird fear try taking a cup of coffee and a good book out on a warm day and sitting near(ish) their pen. Read your book and don't look at the birds apart from an occasional glance. Slowly day by day move your chair and reduce your book reading time and increase your glancing time. Soon you will be right up near them and have no fear. I quite understand the flapping problem. Once you are happy to be near the birds ask you partner to pick one  up and turn it upside down like a turtle on the ground. The chicken will remain perfectly still, hopefully then you will be able to gently stroke their soft warm underside feathers. Keep your movements calm and 'smooth' while you are around the birds as any sudden movements will make them panic and flap about.
Once you are more calm and comfortable with the birds try feeding a little corn by hand. Just remember these are chickens and their beaks cannot hurt you in any serious way.

Good luck and let us know how you get along.

Orchardlady

terri

• 1st egg
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 08:36 »
i was worried about getting mine to bed too but it turns out they all just go in on their own as its getting dark bluebell first as she likes to get in the coop early to get the best spot then the others lurk around the door for a while till they are ready and i just shut the door ,simples
i do wish this worked on the children  :D
4 children, 1 hubby, 2 g,pigs, 1 gecko 3 hens, 2 fish,2 cats

Nickchick

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 10:20 »
Mine just take themselves off to bed.  You will get used to them. They are always pleased to see you and just get abit over excited!

Lewjam

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2011, 12:36 »
Mine used to put them selves to bed, now they have taken to trying to roost on top of the coop.  Its their latest ploy in Man Vrs Chicken.

I just come out the door now and they know im going to nock them off the top so they just jump down have a drink and go to bed!
I hate signatures but love irony

Raven81

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2011, 19:04 »
Right!! Tonight I am going to let them take themselves indoors. Hopefully it won't be too late.

Lewjam

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2011, 19:10 »
its normally around dusk, say 10th orso at the moment.

orchardlady

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2011, 20:19 »
Lewjam.

You mentioned that your birds are not keen to go to bed and are roosting on the top of the hen house. Have you checked for :ohmy: red mite? Not wanting to go to bed is often one of the indicators. Hopefully not of course..... ;)

Orchardlady

The Norfolk Turkey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2011, 00:22 »
We have a coop and run for the chooks and shut them in at night, but they take themselves to bed. To put them in the run we have a large plastic mug that we half fill with corn and walk down the garden rattling it and calling them before sprinkling it in the run, they then fill up on corn before night time!
They recognise the sup and the sound and come scampering as soon as they hear/see it - even our 3 year old can 'put them to bed'! Hope this helps?!

OpiumEater

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2011, 09:35 »
I copy the Turkey  :D

If they are in the garden, just opening the shed where I keep the corn gets them running to me and I end up tripping up over them  :wub:

Corn thrown into run, hens follow, door shut.

By the time it's dark they are all in and cuddled up and I just pop out, say night night, and shut the door.

Much better than my first couple of days when I tried to shoo them in and obviously failed miserably  ;)
Alice - Australorp
Bernadette - Barnevelder
Dora - Silver Grey Dorking
LilliBet - Cream Leg Bar

Raven81

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2011, 13:39 »
Well, I let them take themselves in last night, they went in at 9.30 and as suggested I simply shut the door behind them. Much less stressful for both me and the girls!!  :) :)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2011, 14:13 »
glad you have now discovered that they are the bosses and you are just there to bring them food and to clean and tidy up after them  :D

xx
Night times

Started by swo1970 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 20, 2012, 21:39
by swo1970
xx
laying times~?

Started by celtbhoy on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post June 22, 2009, 20:20
by SMD66
question
Laying times!!!

Started by birds in a basket on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post March 08, 2010, 11:42
by Jeanette
xx
laying times

Started by nzdunn on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 26, 2009, 21:26
by joyfull

Page created in 0.242 seconds with 32 queries.