Advice needed

• 4 Replies

Laura020101

Advice needed
« on: May 19, 2011, 20:53 »
Hi everyone,

I have quite a few questions I hope you don't mind!

I've grown quite a lot of things in seed trays; Cabbages, lettuces, parsnips, broccoli! They're all getting tall and I have no idea what I should be doing!!!

I am in the process of getting my allotment ready but it's taking much more time than I anticipated and so I have no where to plant the veg out.

I think I need to start pricking things out (is that the correct terminology? so new to growing my own!) but don't know how to do this or even if it is the right time!

I have 4 tomato plants growing in 3" pots, they are now about an inch tall, do I need to do anything with these?

I have 7 cucumber plants growing in a seed tray, they are about 3" tall now, do I need to do anything with these?

Sorry for all the questions and I hope I've posted this in the correct place.

Many thanks in advance!

Doddy

• Always learning
Re: Advice needed
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 21:08 »
Noticed your earlier post - you have an allotment that's like a field, and a greenhouse?

I'd be getting the tomatoes and cucumbers content in the GH - check they're not pot-bound and repot if needed, then out with the grow-bags. Meanwhile dig over a >small< area of the allotment to get the rest into the ground. You don't have to prep the whole allotment, just a bit at a time... I've come to realise over the last year I've had mine this lark is more a marathon than a sprint.

Above all, enjoy yourself - that's what it's all about.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 21:11 »
Cabbage & brocolli - pot on int 3" pots, lettuce - prick out into another seed tray with wider spacing, or find somewhere at home to stick them in. Parsnips - in my opinion, you're struggeling with.  You have to be very, very careful in transplanting them and they are really not going to like being potted on & put out at a later date. You could try potting them into a paper pot each and then planting the whole thing when you have the space.

Tomatoes should be OK at the moment in the pots they are in, if they're going outside, it's a little early yet anyway.

Cucumbers - are they outdoor variety? If so get them into 3" pots, grow them on a bit and fingers crossed you'll have a bit of space cleared for them in June.

Where do you have the plants at the moment?
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Laura020101

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 21:18 »
Thanks ever so much for your replys!

I could not agree more, this growing malarky takes over all my spare time but I do love it!

I have (or will have) 6 raised beds, at the moment only one is ready and the others feel as though they are a good few weeks off! Should I just plant as much as I can into the one ready bed? Mixing all the vegetables that I have!?

I wish I'd got the allotment ready before I grew so much! I have about 20 courgette plants, slightly OTT I now feel haha!

Oh no for the Parsnips! I had no idea, wish I'd done a little more research now.

At what point do I pot on the cabbage and broccoli, I'm almost positive it's now as they are getting very tall but being so new to all this I don't want to get it wrong.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 21:24 »
Now! and put them as deep in the pot as you can.

question
Help or Advice Needed, Please.

Started by RookieJim on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post October 02, 2012, 09:00
by RookieJim
xx
advice needed please

Started by maelyn on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 01, 2011, 19:33
by maelyn
xx
Serious Veg advice needed.

Started by Aunt Sally on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 22, 2011, 18:15
by Aunt Sally
xx
advice needed

Started by toadstool on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post December 27, 2011, 18:31
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.495 seconds with 28 queries.