Floppy onion leaves, not yet mature

• 1 Replies

someoneorother

Floppy onion leaves, not yet mature
« on: May 19, 2011, 12:44 »
I've noticed that a number of the leaves on my onions (Red Baron, from sets) seem to be very 'floppy'. They're aren't lying over and yellowing like they would if they were mature, just odd leaves are falling over and lying almost along the ground. They're not yellowing, and there is no other obvious sign of distress I can see. A few have 'broken' and I've snapped these off, but many more are just very soft and can't stand up under their own weight.

Ideas? I have been watering them quite heavily (using up the rest of the watering can after keeping newly planted seeds moist). They're in a raised bed, with quite heavy clay soil.

One thought I had was too much nitrogen, but the only fertilsing I've done is a relatively small dose of Growmore on teh top of the soil before I planted them. Maybe it's just the wind? I don't know.

Cheers.

andtiggertoo

• Experienced Member
Re: Floppy onion leaves, not yet mature
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 10:58 »
Mine have done that too. But it has been very windy in the last week or two. I think that's the cause on mine. All my single onions have done it red and white.

But my shallots are ok I think the clump form and shorter stems have given them the extra strength to stand up to wind.

xx
Floppy Chilli Leaves

Started by Jay The Digger on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 27, 2009, 10:45
by Jay The Digger
xx
floppy cucumber leaves.

Started by richie on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 12, 2011, 10:04
by richie
xx
Onion Leaves Curling

Started by Marston on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post June 04, 2014, 20:40
by WulfrunFrank
xx
onion leaves not standing up

Started by lottiegirl on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 16, 2013, 19:52
by AnneB

Page created in 0.529 seconds with 28 queries.