what age should you put chicks into outside coop

• 6 Replies

kaz1510

what age should you put chicks into outside coop
« on: May 15, 2011, 21:57 »
Hi again after some more advice my chicks are 7 weeks old now but what age would you put them outside without the heat lamp. I let them out during the day and they love it, they are getting used to going up into the coop and perching but i still think its a bit cold outside at night. I bring them back in at night time and put the heat lamp on for them.Maybe i'm too used to my central heating!
1 Bluebell, 1 Magpie Maran, 2 Goldlines, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Exchequer Leghorn, 1 Buff Sussex, 1 Chocolate Orpington, 2 Wellsummers, 1 white leghorn cross and 1 Crested Cream Legbar. Not forgetting my 3 dogs, 3 cats, 2 rabbits and my sons rats

rachelr

Re: what age should you put chicks into outside coop
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 22:14 »
mine were outside from 6 weeks and they are only 9 weeks now. They much prefer being out and they are fine with the weather.

Mulberry1990

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 22:15 »
Ours went out at 7 weeks full time and now refuse to ever go in a coop as night, they're monsters to get to bed! They'd much rather just sleep up a tree.
4 Dogs: Stanley, Oscar, Borris and Scraps, 8 chickens: Prada, Mulberry, Alessi, Apple, Dior, Bobbi, Eve and Fendi, 2 Guinea Pigs: Rupert and Milo, 3 Rabbits: Louis, Daisy and Charlie 2 Fish: Sandy and Pebbles, 6 Quail

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 22:16 »
get them used to being without heat at night first - most people stop the heat from 5 weeks onwards depending on the time of year.
Staffies are softer than you think.

gracie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 07:41 »
I agree, they should be kept if heat for a couple of nights then go outside. Mine are 6 weeks and love being outside, free ranging when we are home and putting themselves to bed when ready.

kaz1510

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 13:52 »
Thank you everyone i dont know what i would do without this forum! I will turn the heat lamp off from tonight and see how they go for a couple of days.  I feel like an over protective mother hen, my husband says i'm chicken mad!

Dominic

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 14:26 »
Mine are about 10 weeks old, they're off the heat at night, but still indoors, cars are still lightly frosted here at the moment at 6am.

Probably just me being a big baby about them.
We use chemicals in this garden, just as god intended

Page created in 0.358 seconds with 37 queries.