Chitting seeds

• 4 Replies

Kajazy

• Experienced Member
Chitting seeds
« on: May 02, 2011, 16:27 »
Hello,

I've heard about some people chitting their seeds before planting them to ensure germination - can anyone tell me:

what is it?
how do you do it?
which seeds is/isn't it suitable for?

Many thanks!

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: Chitting seeds
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 16:34 »
We don't do that here, don't really feel the need. Some people put seeds on a damp sheet of something like kitchen paper until the husk is broken. Usually done with "difficult to germinate" seeds like parsnip, for instance.

:)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 16:39 »
Chitting seeds is a way of breaking/softening the seed coating and will show if it is a viable seed.

Place the seeds between two damp pieces of kitchen roll (and keep them damp).  Within a few days you will see the first shoot of the seed which you then plant immediately. 

Any seed can be chitted, but I wouldnt/couldnt chit small seeds such as lettuce or carrots.
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 16:41 »
I chit sweetcorn and beans, it shows you which are duds, so you don't waste compost.

I do a pinch of any old seeds just to check if they are still viable, before sowing.
Here's a link for sweetcorn chitting, but they are all done the same way :)
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=34827.msg417144#msg417144

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 16:44 »
I've done it for sweetcorn and parsnips. The reasons being in my case that I successfully failed to grow parsnips 2 years ago despite doing everything I normally did, and I find that I personally get a better germination rate with the sweetcorn.

It is more faff but I think the results are worth it.

As argyllie says germinate on damp paper until you see a tiny rootlet, then pot up the sweetcorn carefully and allow to grow on, and the parsnip space carefully where you want them to grow. I have put chitted parsnip seed into paper pots to grow on, but found that the end result was very distorted roots. By putting the chitted seed straight where they are to grow on I'm hoping for better shaped roots. My ground is well dug and not stony, my carrots are always good if the slugs don't get 'em first :)
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

xx
Pre-Chitting seeds

Started by Aidy on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 03, 2015, 20:10
by chillimummy
xx
Chitting seeds

Started by Riala on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post May 25, 2009, 21:14
by galen
xx
Wilkos already chitting potato seeds

Started by casper on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 19, 2013, 22:24
by casper
xx
Chitting bean seeds: light, dark, or doesn't matter?

Started by Subversive_plot on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 26, 2022, 17:00
by Subversive_plot

Page created in 1.485 seconds with 33 queries.