Seed help please!

• 6 Replies

cindyfurse

Seed help please!
« on: April 28, 2011, 20:12 »
Hi folks,

So I bought a few packs of seeds as they were going cheap (20p a pack) from a website. They have arrived nice and quickly and so far I have no quibbles. I only bought them to give them a try and as they were so cheap I thought I couldn't go wrong. So, having arrived there are no sowing/growing/care instructions with any of the seeds and as hubby and I are complete novices I am hoping that some of you helpful souls would be able to advise us.

The seeds in question are:

Aubergine - Black Beauty, which I'm sure I've read can be slow to germinate and we may be a bit late to sow this year.
Watermelon - Crimson Sweet
Calabrese - Green Sprouting, we're assuming we can just sow these direct, but any helpful guidance much appreciated.
And finally Tomato - Marmande.

Just asking for sowing/growing/care advice for the above if anyone can offer any.

Thanks in advance for any tips/advice!

Cindy

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Seed help please!
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 20:21 »
I would say you are too late for Aubergines, I started mine in February!

green sprouting instructions here
http://www.gardeningdirect.co.uk/Calabrese-Green-Sprouting/21-01-1028,default,pd.html

tomato....sow on windowledge or in propogator now  :)

cindyfurse

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 22:18 »
Thanks mumofstig. I did think it was too late for aubergines!

BabbyAnn

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 15:17 »
I sowed my aubergines a couple of weeks ago and okay the warm Easter weekend was a bonus but they have germinated and doing well.  According to National Vegetable Society, aubergines can be sown in April.  Being in Devon cindyfurse, I would have thought you could probably still sow some now, but do it sooner rather than later.

hamstergbert

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 15:26 »
if you are indeed completely new to all this stuff and want to get stuck in anyway, you might consider skipping the 'put seed in compost and wait' step for the aubergines (and a load of other things not in your seeds list) and buy in some seedlings from a reputable nursery or garden centre.  You then get to grow stuff on - and get the harvest - so next year (when you can plan your timescale a bit more) once your seeds come through you are already set to do the growing on stuff.  You could try a few different tomato varieties too.

Personally, aubergines have been one of my consistent failures whether from seed or bought in plants,  so much as I love them I resigned myself years ago to buying the fruits from the supermarket!

That said, I would do the seeds this year anyway - at that bargain price it would be daft not to give it a go....
The Dales - probably fingerprint marks where God's hand touched the world

operabunny

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2011, 23:12 »
Had an aubergine disaster last year and started some new ones in May - they were a bit later to fruit than usual but kept going until October! For 20p what have you got to lose?

cindyfurse

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2011, 08:21 »
Well folks, took the plunge and have popped four aubergine seeds into plugs in the greenhouse! We'll see if we have any luck with them!

For beginners we do seem to be doing ok so far with most of our sowings germinating, but I think having a greenhouse is giving us a helping hand!

I'm sure if the aubergines come to anything I'll be back asking for tips again!

Thanks for all the advice,

Cindy

question
Runner bean seed directly in ground and plant root/seed attacks

Started by harwood7pccc on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 04, 2010, 17:26
by diggerjoe
xx
spring onion seed and rocket seed

Started by AmandaLouise on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 09, 2012, 10:19
by AmandaLouise
xx
Cheap seed trays and seed offers

Started by Parsnip on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 22, 2009, 07:49
by lucywil
xx
from seed

Started by Bailz on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 21, 2011, 14:06
by bigben

Page created in 0.333 seconds with 30 queries.