diatomous earth

• 6 Replies

rachelr

diatomous earth
« on: April 27, 2011, 23:02 »
ok spelling is not my best subject. I forgot to put my D E in an air tight container and it has turned to pebbles.

I need to get some more doh. i have looked it up on ebay and there are different strains of it. Which one is best and can any one please help me with a good supplier

many thanks
Rachel

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: diatomous earth
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 23:06 »
Can you crush it up again.  The water willnot have affected it.

Helenaj

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 07:16 »
I read that the one that is safe to use is the food grade one (Amorphous silica) as the other type is carcinogenic (Crystalline silica) and sales of it banned in some countries other than for industrial use. The food one is used to keep things like flour etc from clumping together when packaged and is safe to breathe in - but will make you cough as it's dusty. I'm assuming that it should be in the product info which one it is and I wouldn't have thought that sellers of diatomaceous earth would be permitted to sell the carcinogenic type domestically. As Aunt Sally says, you can recrush it and it wouldn't harm the product.

rachelr

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 21:40 »
i tried recrushing it but after i had got it wet maybe i will sit with me pestle and mortar tomorro while watching the nuptials lol

uktitan

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 23:51 »
I use hemexsan. Same as DE only Cheaper  :) you can google it, its easy to find  ;)
I now have the chicken bug woot i love the Poland's

Sassy

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2011, 10:26 »
i tried recrushing it but after i had got it wet maybe i will sit with me pestle and mortar tomorro while watching the nuptials lol

Just think of someone you don't like very much ............. ! :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

hillfooter

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2011, 03:24 »
Diatomaceous Earth is the generic name for the natuaral mineral,  Hemexsan (www.quillproductions.co.uk/insect-fly.../hemexsan-powder-25kg.html - Cached), or Diatom (Wells Poultry and many others) are product trade names for it.

For use in a coop mix as a slurry and paint on.  Start by making a disinfectant base (dilute disinfectant with water as directed I use Vanodine V18 an Iodine based disinfectant) add the DE while stirring to a batter creamy consistancy, add a dash of washing up liquid to provide wetting and paint on all surfaces of the perches and into corners.  This works equaly well as dusting and is less dangerous to a chx respiratory system (dust particles can carry viruses as well as irritate their airways).  Also it sticks and stays a long time and prevents droppings sticking.  You just scrape off and touch up where it has worn off.  Only wash every 3 to 6 months.

Not everyone is convinced of it's safety and dust in the confines of a house should generally be kept down so don't dust.

HF

HF
Truth through science.

xx
diatomous earth

Started by westie on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 18, 2008, 21:35
by Aunt Sally
xx
Cat Litter / Diatomous Earth query

Started by poultrygeist on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post May 26, 2008, 15:25
by poultrygeist
xx
how on earth

Started by storme37 on The Hen House

29 Replies
Last post August 11, 2011, 13:29
by dawnie77
xx
Do I Need An Earth Box

Started by peter rooster on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post November 27, 2010, 16:45
by Flowerpower136

Page created in 0.289 seconds with 36 queries.