Who kills and who lets them die?

• 23 Replies

hamstergbert

Re: Who kills and who lets them die?
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2011, 08:14 »
......I would be mighty peed off if when I turn 65 and choose not to work the tax man came round with a shot gun....

On the other hand, such an visit by a taxman packing heat would probably encourage me to try really, really, I mean REALLY hard to lay an egg!

On the actual topic, as an outsider all I can say is that there seems to be two distinct possible chickeny types - those for whom the egg production is part of the lifestyle equation (and for whom retaining non-layers are on a par with digging over, fertilising and maintaining the plot and not planting anything edible in it) and those for whom hens are semi-pets and who view the eggs as a bonus.

If we were to have chooks, I suspect that I might fall into the first camp and the Mem-Sahib into the second!
The Dales - probably fingerprint marks where God's hand touched the world

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2011, 08:28 »
so I guess you would be keeping them as pets the  :lol:
Staffies are softer than you think.

SurreyLass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2011, 08:57 »
Having only had my girls for nearly a month, its not something I want to think about, but I guess it is sensible to have thought about it. My 2 girls are ISA Browns, and started laying a couple of weeks ago. Although I potentially do have space for something bigger, it isnt realistic for lots of reasons, which is why I have 2. They are as garden pets, but the egg bi-product is also fairly important to the family too! I dont know what we will do when they stop laying to be honest............

Thrift

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2011, 09:22 »
We have some hybrids which fortunately are varying ages. As they are not pets it is quite convenient when the older ones pop off after 3 or 4 years and we are not left with the  non layers eating us out of house and home.

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2011, 11:33 »
Someone asked me this question the other day, although the way she phrased it was "what's your exit strategy?"  It took me a moment to realise what she was talking about!  :lol:

Anyway there are two answers to this question:

If my hubby asks, the 'exit strategy' is to build a retirement fund into the life of the girls.  All I actually want is to break even i.e. for their eggs to pay for the cost of their feed and basic living costs.  This is also intended to cover anyone who turns out to be unproductive - if one of the pullets turns out to be a 'dud' in the egg-laying department, it doesn't matter because her sisters will look after her.

According to my calculations the chickens should cover their set-up costs in about 18 months.  Every egg they lay after that begins paying for their retirement.

The alternative answer is that the girls are going to live out the terms of their natural lives in our back yard, whether they lay an egg or not!  They are my pets as much as a cat or dog would be, and they will be cared for accordingly.

Julie in Somerset

« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2011, 11:52 »
This is a dilema that won't go away for me either. I think I am somewhere between a keeper of pet hens and a smallholder. I've had ex batts and POL hybrids, I have paid for vets to PTS 2 hens, OH has culled 2 and 2 have died very quickly on their own.

I have 2 hybrid hens I bought POL in April 08 and neither lay now. I think I have decided my policy for non layers is no vets if they get ill - cull b4 suffering starts and that they can have a retirement which may be limited by the need to get new birds.

My farmer friend gets a dozen ex batts from a local farm, keeps them free range for 12-18months depending on foxes and laying, then culls them and uses what meat she can and then gets some more. This is a lot better than the other 12,000 plus that go for slaughter every month or so get
This could work for me but I know the rehoming charities would frown on it but if you have limited space you do need some eggs.

Dilema ongoing...........

compostqueen

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2011, 13:36 »
I have two non-laying hens now,both 3.5 years old. I bought my first box of eggs yesterday which grieved me no end.  I want new birds but don't want to upset the old girls. I can't afford new housing having paid so much for my set up. I only have room for one more bird but fear what will happen if I try and incorporate a newbie. WWIII I suspect as one of them is so feisty

I thought I might wait til they're pushing up daisies  :D

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2011, 07:51 »
On the actual topic, as an outsider all I can say is that there seems to be two distinct possible chickeny types - those for whom the egg production is part of the lifestyle equation (and for whom retaining non-layers are on a par with digging over, fertilising and maintaining the plot and not planting anything edible in it) and those for whom hens are semi-pets and who view the eggs as a bonus.

You've got that spot on Hamstergbert  :lol: 

If I was farming chickens for eggs and/or meat I would have to make a concious effort not to get attached. I have no problem with people who operate like this and cull birds as long as they care for their stock well while it is alive.  As it is I am keeping chickens as a hobby if I am honest, because I love having them around and mine are spoilt little princesses. 

I'm rearing 2 chicks at the moment to go into the big run as replacement layers for the older girls, who I am sure will not be around much longer.  There will be scrapping when they go in but it will settle down in a couple of days and my little Serama cockerel will hopefully look after them  :)

Beakybird

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2011, 09:46 »

The alternative answer is that the girls are going to live out the terms of their natural lives in our back yard, whether they lay an egg or not!  They are my pets as much as a cat or dog would be, and they will be cared for accordingly.

Aww, your little girls are super lucky little cluckies (just like mine) :D

xx
Hen kills chicks

Started by Ellex on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 19, 2011, 20:57
by themagicaltoad1
xx
Lets get a name list going

Started by Jellyhead on The Hen House

46 Replies
Last post May 26, 2008, 12:20
by Jonsue
xx
lets talk eggs

Started by new_2_veg on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 26, 2008, 10:37
by Mrs.Tweedy

Page created in 1.605 seconds with 32 queries.