Silly question about red mite

• 17 Replies

Jacinta

Silly question about red mite
« on: April 20, 2011, 21:30 »
Where do red mite come from and how do they get to the coop?  I'm new! 

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
Re: Silly question about red mite
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 21:48 »
Hi Jacinta, that's not a silly question at all!  :)

I'm new at this too, so (fingers crossed etc etc) I haven't yet experienced the dreaded mite outbreak.  But I think it's just a matter of time. :(

It seems that the greatest risk comes from wild birds, and especially their nests or areas of dry ground below their nests.  If your chickens are free-ranging and/or their run is positioned under a tree, they will almost certainly be exposed to mites.

Before I knew about red mites I made the mistake of trimming a conifer on my front lawn.  Thinking it would be great for my future hens to demolish, I dragged all the branches around the back and put them where the chicken run would be positioned. 

Many weeks later I learned on this site about red mites, so I went back and looked more carefully at the branches.  Sure enough they were packed with the remnants of wild birds' nests - feathers, dry grass, bits of plastic. ???  I dusted the whole area for mites, but as they can live for up to 18 months without a bird I think I probably set up the perfect situation to introduce mites to my new chickens.  >:(

Ah well, we live and learn.  ::)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 22:03 »
It's about 38 weeks actually Lindeggs!  But still a long time to go without your dinner!  :ohmy:

If you bring new birds into your set up, they can sometimes bring mites with them.  And a classic is ex battery girls.  they often have mites in the big houses, and it isn't easy to eradicate them until that flock goes at 18 months old.

Although red mite live in the houses, not on the birds, Sometimes a straggler will still be on a bird and get carried to your place.  We have occasionally had birds brought to us for culling and we've found the odd mite wandering around on it.

Blasted things!!

Jacinta

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 22:06 »
Bless you! Hope it turned out ok.  I didn't realize that they were lurking around the garden anyway.  My girls are in an enclosed run, no trees or nests around, so wild birds should have no access.  There are blackbirds pecking around the edge of the run though for scraps.  I will apply the diatom regularly to the birds and their bedding, they drink garlic water everyday and their perch is covered in the stuff.  Anything else i can be doing?  The coop is made of sheet timber with no nooks and crannies, everything has been sealed with in an inch of it's life in preparation.  

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 22:14 »
Sounds like you're doing all the right things, Jacinta. Hillfooter (and others) recommend using a diatom slurry rather than just the powder.  A slurry is made up by mixing diatom to a thin paste with water* and painting it on the woodwork.  Apparently the slurry sticks better, lasts longer, and is better for breathing than the powder.

*Actually I think Hillfooter uses other liquids apart from water - but the brand names mean nothing to me so I forget what he uses!  :unsure:

Ah GrannieAnnie, I knew red mites could live for a long time - longer than I could go without a cuppa anyway!  :tongue2:

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 22:15 »
Yeah, me too Lindeggs!

Jacinta

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 22:24 »
 :D Tee hee!  I think he uses fairy liquid or something.  I only got the girls on sunday and the house is still immaculate, probably not for long.  I'll try the slurry on my first proper clean out.  How often should that be?  I poo pick everyday and top up shavings as necessary, so it always looks fresh.  When i clean proper with poultry shield, can i reuse the shavings if clean? 

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 22:32 »
I wouldn't re-use, just in case there is anything hiding there and you re-introduce it back into the coop.

As we have 8 henhouses and coops to treat for redmite, and the biggest if 32ft long, I don't make a slurry with the diatom like stuff I use, it would take ages to paint on!  So once I've sprayed into every cranny I can find with my poultryshield, I then chuck the dry stuff up the walls, and into cranny's and all over the perches while they are still a bit damp.  that way the diatom stuff stays on longer and isn't as dusty as when its just put on dry.

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2011, 00:24 »
:D Tee hee!  I think he uses fairy liquid or something...

Yes that sounds familiar.  Presumably he collects the fairies from the bottom of his garden and puts them through a juicer.   :ohmy:

Jacinta

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2011, 07:02 »
 ::) I like that idea!  The girls are out for the day now and are singing their usual songs!  We're building a run extension tonight to give them more than double the space, with different levels and tree stumps.  It'll make life much easier for me cleaning wise too as they can be shut in the new part of the run, rather than hovering around by big clumsy 6am boots!  Thanks for your advice.  I will report in when my first egg appears, can't wait.  :nowink:

bantam novice

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2011, 08:02 »
Good Luck Jacinta and start thinking about how you will cook that first egg  :)
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2011, 08:52 »
lol I don't think its undiluted fairy liquid  :D  You have to dunk them in water first and wring them out  :lol:

But I think HF puts a squirt of fairy in the water to make the slurry.

Helenaj

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2011, 09:17 »
So far, I've been lucky and not had to deal with the the little blighters, but are red mite the same as red spider mite you see in the garden? I have see a few of these outside on a concrete wall in full sunlight, but don't think that they are the same thing.

8doubles

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2011, 09:30 »
When my hens are dustbathing the local sparrows join in.
If the sparrows have just come off the nest there is a good chance they are carrying a few mites or lice.
 Some wild birds nests (sparrows use the same sites every year) are heaving with parasites, it`s a miracle the chicks survive.
I did wonder if the reduction in sparrow numbers was partly due to red mite infestation.

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2011, 12:46 »
So far, I've been lucky and not had to deal with the the little blighters, but are red mite the same as red spider mite you see in the garden? I have see a few of these outside on a concrete wall in full sunlight, but don't think that they are the same thing.

No, they are different things Helena, the poultry red mite are even smaller than the red spider mites and v. light grey or whitish or black in colour until they feed on teh chickens, then they turn red.

Nasty little blighters!

xx
silly question

Started by jimroden on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 23, 2008, 00:07
by muntjac
xx
another silly question

Started by Tony H on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post February 09, 2012, 08:41
by Sassy
xx
Silly question

Started by t161tanya161 on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post January 20, 2012, 18:08
by kegs
xx
Silly question?

Started by bygrace on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post October 26, 2011, 00:52
by Lindeggs

Page created in 0.284 seconds with 37 queries.