Mushy potatoes

• 9 Replies

Grecian Gardener

Mushy potatoes
« on: April 19, 2011, 21:09 »
I grew Accord earlies and Desiree main crop last year.  Both varieties mushed up when cooked, and varying the cooking times etc made little difference.

I've never had this problem with shop bought Desiree so could it be connetced with the soil which is clay?  Possibible a silly question but I am curious if there is a link.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Mushy potatoes
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 21:12 »
Many people reported this problem last year.  I don't know if it related to the growing conditions over the season, but often the problem was said to be less pronounced if a couple of days was left between harvesting and cooking.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 21:16 »
A few people mention this with home grown, and in my opinion its all about the cooking method.
I find that shop bought spuds take much longer...while hg have a very quick 'turning point' where they turn to mush before you know it.  Some say steaming works best for hg.

I havent found a link to the soil type, and I've grown a few different varieties in well worked clay, though this is my first year for Desiree.

I've found its just a matter of keeping more of an eye on them while you are cooking them until you get to know your cooking timing of your own crop.
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

gazza975526570

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 21:19 »
I must admit ive had this each year ive had an allotment - last year i planted 4 varieties and i had hardly any that where ok.

Im giving it one last year - timing everything perfectly, watering really well and hoping they come good.

If not ill have lots of room at my allotment next year!!

Salmo

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 23:48 »
Many varieties seem to go through a phase in their ripening when they turn to mush when boiled. Could it be something to do with water content?

realfood

• Experienced Member
    • Grow Your Own Info
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 19:45 »
Microwave the potatoes and you will never have a problem with mushy potatoes.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 21:03 »
steam them.......... perfick :)

LeeR

• Winner - Biggest Pumpkin, 2015
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011, 13:50 »
I had this issue with my Aaron Vicotry pots and read that you shouldn't hard boil them.  When you've got the water up to a boil turn the hob temperature down to a minimum and let them cook slowly.  Since doing this we've had the best mash and roast tatties ever.   :)

Goosegirl

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2011, 14:16 »
Completely agree with the cooking comments, plus some pot varieties are more prone to turn to mush.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

JohnB47

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2011, 14:55 »
I saw a comment in a Saturday paper saying that a dry season, like most of us had last year, can lead to spuds breaking up when cooking.

Trouble is, we seem to be having a dry season already. When will it start raining? What happened to 'April Showers'.

xx
Mushy Potatoes

Started by bobbyt on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 19, 2022, 08:23
by Snow
xx
Mushy Potatoes

Started by flowerpower on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 24, 2009, 19:38
by flowerpower
xx
Mushy pumpkins

Started by fletch on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 05, 2007, 23:13
by muntjac
sad
Mushy courgettes

Started by Maggie T on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 22, 2010, 20:57
by Ice

Page created in 1.146 seconds with 30 queries.