seaweed - what do I do with it????

• 5 Replies

pookey

• Experienced Member
« on: August 26, 2007, 22:10 »
I picked up 4 big bags of seaweed on Thursday when I was on holiday and brought them home.  I have put 2 bags in the compost bin, what should I do with the other 2 - can I make a liquid feed somehow.  They are a bit smelly and I want to do something quick!

My husband thought I looked insane trawling the beach dragging binbags around - you have no dignity once youve had a few kids!
Avoid fruit and nuts.  You are what you eat.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007, 22:23 »
Hope you washed it first before adding it, you can use it as a slug repellent  bbc website or add a couple handfuls of seaweed to a 5-gallon bucket of water. Stir the concoction daily for a few days, then strain and dilute it using the ratio of 1 part seaweed liquid to 2 parts water. that tip thanks to www.plantea.com
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

pookey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 00:57 »
Quote from: "richyrich7"
Hope you washed it first before adding it, you can use it as a slug repellent  bbc website or add a couple handfuls of seaweed to a 5-gallon bucket of water. Stir the concoction daily for a few days, then strain and dilute it using the ratio of 1 part seaweed liquid to 2 parts water. that tip thanks to www.plantea.com

Thanks Richyrich - I didnt wash it, how bad is it and what will happen?

Thanks for the liquid feed idea, Could I also maybe liquidise some and bottle it to water down for a feed or would it just go manky?

WG.

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007, 09:00 »
Quote from: "pookey"
I didnt wash it, how bad is it and what will happen?
You will have added a fair bit of salt to your compost heap.   Assuming your heap is covered, then you could always use the compost on plants which tolerate, or even like, a touch of salt, e.g onion, asparagus, beetroot.

If it is uncovered, then the salt will leach out with winter rainfall (but so will some of the nutrients).

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007, 09:01 »
Quote from: "pookey"
Quote from: "richyrich7"

Thanks Richyrich - I didnt wash it, how bad is it and what will happen?

Thanks for the liquid feed idea, Could I also maybe liquidise some and bottle it to water down for a feed or would it just go manky?

According to the site where I found the seaweed liquid thingy the author never bothers washing her seaweed just composts it apparently it breaks down pretty quick anyway.

Not sure how long it would keep bottled.

pookey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2007, 10:56 »
thanks - i'll wash the rest and compost more, then steep aload in a 5 gall drum - should give me some good feed.

xx
Seaweed meal V calcified seaweed

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 18, 2011, 22:25
by Trillium
xx
Seaweed ?

Started by argonaut on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post May 05, 2011, 20:10
by Ice
xx
seaweed

Started by tryx on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 17, 2013, 19:53
by tryx
xx
Seaweed

Started by Blueberry on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 13, 2010, 16:10
by Blueberry

Page created in 1.375 seconds with 28 queries.