compost contents query

• 5 Replies

mushroom

compost contents query
« on: August 26, 2007, 11:12 »
hi folks,

would spent hops and grain be considered 'carbon' or 'nitrogen' in compost terms? I'd guess the hops will break down slower than perhaps even citrus  :D considering hops are cultivated for their preserving properties. I've just added about 15kg of spent grain to the heap, and am wondering what i should balance it with. My composter is a plastic container, an open-ended cone with the open end planted in the ground, the top comes off where stuff is shovelled in.

there's about 700g of spent hops in there too.

Does anyone else use spent grain as described?

WG.

compost contents query
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007, 11:22 »
Preserving qualities?  I thought hops were used purely for their bitter flavour??

Okay, by 'spent', I assume you mean after mashing for beermaking.  Both grain and hops would be mainly carbon and, having been boiled, I'd expect them to break down very quickly as soon as the bacterial population was restored.  Perhaps you could layer with grass cuttings or similar nitrogen / bacterial source.

mushroom

compost contents query
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2007, 21:39 »
Quote from: "whisky_golf"
Preserving qualities?  I thought hops were used purely for their bitter flavour??

No, certainly not in a traditional IPA. (India pale ale was of course exported to India in the Victorian era. The hopping rates were many times those used in beer for the home market. This was mainly to do with the long shipping journeys - beer hopped at the regular rate would have gone off. Happily, hops are anti-bacterial, but they are not anti-yeast.

This article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/India_Pale_Ale

may enlighten further

Okay, by 'spent', I assume you mean after mashing for beermaking.  Both grain and hops would be mainly carbon and, having been boiled, I'd expect them to break down very quickly as soon as the bacterial population was restored.  Perhaps you could layer with grass cuttings or similar nitrogen / bacterial source.

I have some layered couch grass roots which have dried out. Do you reckon it'd be ok to put them on?

WG.

compost contents query
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2007, 23:53 »
Thanks for the IPA info mushroom - very enlightening.

Quote from: "mushroom "
I have some layered couch grass roots which have dried out. Do you reckon it'd be ok to put them on?
Only if you are sure they are dead, or if you can manage to get the heap very hot.

Your Profile doesn't tell me if you are organic but, for me, any of green nettles, manure, poultry droppings, pigeon droppings would be normal nitrogen sources for a compost heap.

mushroom

compost contents query
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007, 08:42 »

Your Profile doesn't tell me if you are organic

Fixed - see below  :)

mushroom

compost contents query
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2007, 09:17 »
Thanks for the IPA info mushroom - very enlightening.

IPA is my favourite style. I have 10 gallons on the go right now. Will make another 5 towards the end of this week. The 1060 OG will be conditioned in the cask then bottled, the 1055 OG will just be dispensed from the cask, but I'll bottle a couple of pints of it for posterity. I aim to have a rolling production from now on. Because I mash from first principles every time I brew, you can see why the initial question was so important  :shock: :) - already the heap is about 1/4 full and that's just with 2 mashes.

It would produce less bulk to compost if I did it from concentrated barley syrup but then it wouldn't be the Real Ale 8)

Hopefully the pre-digested (isn't boiling/cooking "digesting?) remnants will provide a fast substrate for composting bacteria to work on. I'm going to burn the dried couch grass at bonfire time, to be on the safe side. All the other weeds i reckon will be killed in the composter.

xx
Compost bin contents

Started by Eblana on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post November 06, 2012, 09:26
by JayG
xx
Contents of Compost bin

Started by mikegm on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 16, 2011, 13:37
by Goosegirl
xx
My Compost bin contents

Started by greenhut on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post April 16, 2013, 19:42
by azubah
xx
compost query

Started by bandoboy on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post January 25, 2007, 21:43
by pwgun

Page created in 0.755 seconds with 29 queries.