How do you tell how old a chicken is & what size perch is best?

• 1 Replies

stujem

Hi all, I had 4 chickens yesterday, 2 warrens browns £5 each and 1 Sussex £10 and a black rock £10. I hope I did not pay too much for them as I had 2 eggs already one yesterday which was laid in the nesting box and one I found under there perch this morning. But how do you tell how old they are. Also I was reading a chicken book my mum in law give me at Christmas, and it says that perches for chickens should be 3"x 2" is that right? Any help I would be grateful
Stu

Casey76

Hi Stujem, once a hen reaches adult size at about 14 weeks it is difficult to tell their ages, unless you have a record of their hatching date.

As a pullet gets ready to lay her comb and wattles will grow quite quickly and then turn red, but this wont happen at the same time even within a breed.

After that, looking at the scales on the legs can give a very broad "younger or older" estimate, in that younger hens have very tight leg scales, and older hens - usually over a year, and after their first moult - whill have larger, looser leg scales.

Hens (opposed to pullets) will also look and feel more "solid."  But it is really all a guessing game!

xx
Perch size & Nest box size

Started by geoffwales on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post July 23, 2008, 20:22
by karlooben
xx
perch size query

Started by carl on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post January 22, 2010, 22:48
by Bonniebean
xx
chicken not roosting on perch or laying

Started by hbelle on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 30, 2011, 17:31
by Sassy
xx
New chicken keeper - how to make them roost on perch?

Started by momo on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 03, 2008, 23:06
by Planner

Page created in 0.616 seconds with 31 queries.