Help! Eggs with no shell?!

• 5 Replies

Gerty333

Help! Eggs with no shell?!
« on: April 10, 2011, 07:22 »
Hey guys,

Can anyone help? I've got two pullets: one's been laying for about a month, and the other has been laying on and off for about two weeks. For the past week, every morning when I go to let them out i've found the outside of a broken egg - not a shell but more like plastic. And it looks like they've been laid while the chicken was roosting. This morning i discovered an unbroken egg in the nest box but it has no shell - its like a slightly thicker sack surrounding the yolk. Its not entirely see through but I can defintaley see the yolk through it. They are fed layers pellets and corn mixed, they have both types of grit available all day, they have meal worms for treats. They aren't wormed yet (i'm awaitng the delivery).
Can anyone suggest whats wrong??

Honeysuckle

• Experienced Member
  • Kira & Bruin
Re: Help! Eggs with no shell?!
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 07:31 »
When my birds started to lay we did get the odd soft shelled egg; I believe this is quite normal.  Do you give them oyster shell?  Oyster shell has alot of calcium in so may help them. 

Afraid I can't be of any more help, but I'm sure someone will come along and help you more. 

:nowink: :nowink: :nowink:
2 German Shepherds, Kira & Bruin, 4 hybrid chicks Chryssie, Violet, Sweet Pea and Astra.

maninvan

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 07:43 »
hello ive had exactly the same last week, and was told they are called wind eggs! but its down to lack of grit/shell i topped up the shell and after two days we are back to full production again, so hopefully it will pass. like the previous post said somebody else will come along and help you more ta andy.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 08:15 »
wind eggs should be small perfectly formed shelled eggs and some have a yolk whilst others have just a small yellow dot.
Shell-less eggs are a different matter. Feed them just layers for a while with no mixed corn and no meal worms (the mixed corn is also a treat food and not their main staple feed). This way you will ensure they get all the necessary ingredients for good eggs. Always ensure they have a pot of grit (unless they are free ranging then they should be able to find their own) and a pot of oyster shell (chances are you wont see them eating it but they do only need a little so will peck at it every now and then). Laying odd eggs is normal when they first come into lay but it's best to make sure everything is right  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

Gerty333

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 08:38 »
thanks for the advice! i bought mixed grit but maybe they need more oyster shell, and i'll just give layers for a while and see how it goes.
thanks

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011, 08:40 »
check to see if the mixed grit contains oyster shell in it - if it does that will be fine, pullets should be ok on that, no need to give them any more as too much calcium can also be bad.

xx
shell less eggs and partly shelled eggs

Started by symonep on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 21, 2012, 19:42
by symonep
xx
Shell-less Eggs

Started by geordiechick on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 01, 2012, 13:40
by Carrie99
xx
eggs shell

Started by chicksforkicks on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post September 04, 2007, 08:52
by si-mate
xx
shell-less eggs

Started by Jade on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 09, 2011, 23:24
by Jade

Page created in 0.725 seconds with 29 queries.