Mr Fox vs Chickens, Rabbits + Guinea pigs???

• 5 Replies

Carla

• Experienced Member
Mr Fox vs Chickens, Rabbits + Guinea pigs???
« on: April 06, 2011, 10:50 »
Whenever I tell anyone I keep chickens, the first thing the always ask is 'do you have any problems with foxes'. Thankfully, no problems yet even though there's a big fox hole just outside my back garden gate. I was just wondering if foxes will make a special effort to get to chickens over rabbits or guinea pigs?? I always thought that keeping any animal in your garden had an equal chance of getting gobbled up, but people only seem to stress over chickens??
Many pets, a bloke and 2 kids....help!!!

hillfooter

Re: Mr Fox vs Chickens, Rabbits + Guinea pigs???
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 11:33 »
I suspect chx are easier to catch at night and also once a fox gets into a chx house they will kill them all and take one for their young and sometimes return to stock their larders by burying them.  Rabbits are equally vulnerable in runs.  It's mostly a case of what's least effort and danger for the fox a bit like having a burglar alarm when your neighbours don't.

I've mostly lost buff chickens to foxes so I think they prefer the brown ones ::)
HF
Truth through science.

8doubles

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 13:25 »
There are old countryman tales that a fox living in a rabbit bury will not molest it`s closest rabbit neighbours but will hunt further afield leaving the closest ones for `emergencies` or teaching the cubs to hunt.

I trust local foxes about as much as i trust old country tales. :D

Pepperpincushion

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 13:32 »
I know of a lot of people that have lost rabbits to foxes so I don't think they are any less desirable to them - perhaps the rabbits are a little more wary though? My rabbits are generally a bit faster than my chickens too I would say.

Carla

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 14:08 »
I've lost a rabbit to foxes, but so far so good with the chickens. I know people (well, A person) who has turned down the idea of chicken keeping because of the worry of foxes, but have pet rabbits already. I thought that all game would be fair game and surely a hutch is as easy to get into as a coop..easier maybe with the wire fronts most have. Suppose the only difference is most rabbits are kept in enclosed runs, where as freeranging chooks are fast food available all day!

daisy1990

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 19:48 »
we had an urban fox at our last house which used to walk on our patio, setting off the security light, stopping to try and open the rabbit hutch then going on its way.  If a fox can get in a chicken run I am sure they could also get in a hutch, I think it was the light that put it off!
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

xx
guinea pigs and chickens

Started by virgotiger on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 18, 2009, 09:30
by nzdunn
xx
Guinea pigs and hens

Started by richyrich7 on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post March 15, 2007, 14:01
by eggs on legs
xx
baby guinea pigs (hope this is best section)

Started by daz on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post July 18, 2008, 22:15
by chickchick
xx
Poultry shield for cleaning out guinea pigs?!

Started by gingerplant on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 03, 2014, 22:20
by Tenhens

Page created in 0.886 seconds with 28 queries.