pear blossom

• 2 Replies

viettaclark

pear blossom
« on: April 03, 2011, 23:46 »
I'm a bit confused! :wacko:
My friend has a William pear tree (well established) which is in full and glorious bloom on bare branches....not a leaf yet.
My little Beurre Hardy was bought from Lidl 4 years ago and is doing really well but only has new leaves, no blossom. I did have literally a couple of flowers last year but can't remember when!! They didn't produce any fruit.
So I have just researched and found out pears have different pollination groups. I knew about apples needing pollination partners but stupidly forgot about the pear!
My research hasn't managed to answer 2 questions and I wondered if anyone can help, please.
!. Could my pear still blossom or should the flowers come before the leaves? I've seen some pictures of pear trees with both and I assume it depends on the pollination group?

2. I've only got the one tree in my back garden. There could well be others nearby in neighbouring gardens. What's the likelihood of pollination? There are plenty of insects/bees around because there are lots of fruit trees locally.

I know it's impossible to get a definitive answer but it might set my mind at rest! I recently decided to grow blueberries, bought 2 the same and ended up getting another 2 (offer!) because I was informed that "Herbert" needed a pollination partner.
I can't afford another pear tree and it would take ages to get to the blossom stage! :(
Is it just a question of see if it blossoms then see if it gets pollinated? ::)

Trillium

Re: pear blossom
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 00:15 »
here's some pollination info for you:

http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/fruit_veg_diary/pear_tree_2.asp

And it's possible that yours does need a compatible pollinator. Watch for fall/late summer clearances and maybe you can afford a 2nd tree. It's iffy that a neighbour might have a compatible tree if yours hasn't produced fruit yet.

Another possible problem could be the pear flowers getting frost nipped. I've had that happen to my self pollinating Bartlett pears several times. Keeping them fleeced over during potential frost times helps a lot, same for peaches.

gillie

Re: pear blossom
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 07:28 »
There is a saying 'Plant pears for your heirs'. 

Pear trees take a while to start flowering though modern grafted ones are not quite that bad.

Even when it starts flowering it may take a few years for your tree to set fruit so hang on in there.  If there are plenty of fruit trees in your locality I would guess that you will be OK on the pollination front.

Once your tree is blossoming well you could try scrounging a few flowering twigs off your friends William and putting them in water near your tree.

One of our pear trees took around fifteen years to start producing a crop but the Beurre Hardy was somewhat quicker and now carries a huge crop regularly.

xx
Patio Pear with no blossom

Started by Sleepingpopman on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 15, 2016, 10:26
by Gardener and Rabbit
xx
My pear tree has blossom on it

Started by Ice on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 09, 2007, 20:51
by Trillium
xx
Conference Pear blossom

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 26, 2013, 19:41
by mumofstig
xx
Blossom end rot.

Started by A Reyt Tayty on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 18, 2013, 22:04
by solway cropper

Page created in 0.913 seconds with 37 queries.