Can Tomatoes go in the Potato bed?

• 9 Replies

mrsparkle

• Experienced Member
    • Wonderland Tea Parties
Can Tomatoes go in the Potato bed?
« on: April 03, 2011, 16:08 »
I manured my potato bed back in January and have now planted all my spuds with space to spare.

I have read that Tomatos belong to the same family/group as potatoes and wondered if that means I can plant my tomato plants in the spare space left in the spud bed?

« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 19:30 by Ice »

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Can Tomatos go in the Potato bed?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 16:16 »
Trouble is they are also both prone to the same blight disease so if one cops it the other is likely to as well. Planting them as far apart as possible is about all you can do in that respect (without resorting to spraying) but as ever it's a lottery every year.

(You could therefore argue that you might just as well plant them together and hope you get lucky, although personally I always like to "play the percentages" if at all possible!)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 16:18 by JayG »
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 16:18 »
To add to Jay's comment - I'd say don't. Because both are of the same family, which is why they have the same disease problems, so this would be very bad rotation.

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 16:56 »
I would fit in whatever you don't have room for that likes the same growing medium. How about sweetcorn - they will grow higher than the pots and not be shaded by them  - and they like lots of manure too.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

gillie

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 17:03 »
Blight spores are in the air, and I do not believe it is possible to get plants far enough apart to make any difference.

I plant tomatoes next to the potatoes, and rotate them both together.  It makes them easier to spray for blight.  (Don't you plant all your brassicas in the same bed?)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 19:26 »
I agree with gillie - same family goes in same bed!

If you're gonna get blight on your plot, then having the toms 1 or 2 beds away from the spuds will make beggar all difference I'm afraid :(

plus you have no control over where the next allotment grower puts his spuds or toms, so you might just as well keep them all together :nowink:

mrsparkle

• Experienced Member
    • Wonderland Tea Parties
Re: Can Tomatoes go in the Potato bed?
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 21:21 »
Thanks for all the advice.

Regarding blight though:
Do tomatoes and spuds suffer the exact same version of blight? I ask because last year my toms got blight and I didn't notice it on my spuds and they were planted within 3m of each other.

I think ill use the spare space for toms because none of my other land was manured and I think the toms will like the richness of the soil.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2011, 21:56 »
Regarding blight though:
Do tomatoes and spuds suffer the exact same version of blight? I ask because last year my toms got blight and I didn't notice it on my spuds and they were planted within 3m of each other.

Sort of! The fungus-like organism is called Phytophthora infestans and the same one affects both spuds and toms. There are different strains of the organism and different varieties of spuds and tomatoes have varying degrees of susceptibility to them. The local microclimate can also mean that there are slight variations in the amount of leaf-wetting and drying which can affect whether the spores actually germinate or not.

As I said, a bit of a lottery, but worth entering far more often than not!  :)

LeeR

• Winner - Biggest Pumpkin, 2015
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2011, 22:47 »
From my experience once somebody on the allotment site gets blight, everybody gets blight so a few meters apart on the same plot wont make a difference.

BabbyAnn

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2011, 06:10 »
Perhaps I've been lucky or more attentive to tomato plants than the potatoes, but I've noticed blight hits the tomatoes earlier and seem to be more devastating than potatoes.  Touch wood, I've always managed to rescue the potatoes in time even after a bad case - at least you can cut the haulms back and leave the crop in the soil (albeit smaller harvest than if you'd managed a full season without problems) whereas once tomatoes are diagnosed, it's much more difficult to do anything about them.  I understand the spore in the air scenario and neighbours who may not attend to their crops as well, but personally I'd keep mine apart.

xx
Tomatoes growing from potato plant

Started by Munchkin on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 26, 2011, 13:31
by arugula
xx
Tomatoes growing on my potato plants!!!??!

Started by LadyPlod on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 26, 2008, 17:47
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Potato leaf tomatoes, heard of them?

Started by Goldfinger on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post June 26, 2012, 21:23
by Goldfinger
xx
When to harvest potato "tomatoes"

Started by barney rubble on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post July 01, 2009, 18:51
by barney rubble

Page created in 0.519 seconds with 30 queries.