quick asparagus question

• 6 Replies

Remy

• Experienced Member
quick asparagus question
« on: April 03, 2011, 08:43 »
Hi,

Last year I moved 6 asparagus crown to a new site on my plot. They were established before I moved them. My question is that now I moved them to a new site will I have to wait for another 3 years before I pick some?
They are just poking out of the ground & look nice and thick. Not sure if I'll be able to resist the temptation as my brother is coming from France to visit at the end of the month! :)

Brambles

Re: quick asparagus question
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 08:58 »
If it were me... I would leave them (sorry!)   I transplanted some two years ago, this year will be my first harvest from those crowns... it is not worth risking weakening the crowns.... that is just my opinion...

Remy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 09:27 »
Thanks. I thought so! Some of the guys at the plot said the same but wanted a different opinion to make sure.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 09:58 »
Having to be patient with asparagus is not just about not weakening them but also allowing them to bulk up and spread underground (a bought crown is only a few inches across but a mature asparagus shouldl be at least a couple of feet in diameter at the crown and a lot more than that in root spread.)

Did you move them before or after the growing season last year?
If they've already had one growing season in their new location, are of a good size and seem vigorous I'd certainly be more than tempted to impress my brother (funnily enough I've got a brother who lives in France as well!)

(It's always a good idea to err on the side of caution with them, but I certainly wouldn't be waiting another 3 years!)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Remy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 10:10 »
I moved them after the growing season last year. My brother's french and a keen gardener but can't do much at home as his soil is very sandy. I've got a feeling he might be a bit jealous of me as I am only starting my third year as an allotment holder and didn't have any experience previuos to that.
Now I got half a plot with two sheds and a 8"x6" greenhouse. Can't wait until he comes!

Salmo

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 10:34 »
I would pick them for a short time and then leave them to build up.

Maybe pick until brother arrives and then stop? :D :D :D

gillie

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 10:35 »
I would be tempted to take just one picking this year maybe to impress your brother.

Don't feel sorry for him!  France, sandy soil, that is just what  asparagus needs

xx
asparagus!! quick question

Started by smc on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 11, 2009, 10:02
by Salmo
xx
quick question

Started by shed head on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 24, 2013, 21:23
by shed head
xx
Quick question please

Started by mum23kids on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 28, 2010, 19:20
by Yorkie
xx
Quick Shallot question

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 24, 2011, 14:26
by JohnB47

Page created in 0.437 seconds with 29 queries.