Tape worms

• 7 Replies

Oboejane

Tape worms
« on: April 01, 2011, 18:17 »
Hi, please could I have some advice on what to do for the best here....

I noticed today that one of my chickens has tapeworm.  Her droppings have been runny since this morning and I noticed a segmented worm in there. I have come to the conclusion that Verm-X is pretty useless really as it didn't prevent this.  My main concern is to get Penny better as soon as possible and make sure my other three are ok too.

Will Flubenvet be sufficient to shift this, do people think?  Obviously all hens will be treated together so I hope it clears it for all of them.

This might sound a bit silly, but can my cat potentially catch this too? And the children? Horrible thought...

Thanks for reading  :unsure:

Davenports

Re: Tape worms
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 19:13 »
I must admit I was a great believer in Verm-x but after reading many chicken forums on Flubenvet - I thought I would give it a ty.

Wow :ohmy:.... couldn't believe how many worms my girls had - it cleared them all up of worms.  I made sure that they had it for the recommended 7 days but mine are in a netted off enclosure in the garden so  couldn't stop them from free ranging.  What I did do each morning was poo pick  to ensure all poo with worm segments etc were removed.

I have two cats which are constantly in the enclosure and (touch wood) both of them were fine.  I am sure your children will be fine  as long as the basic hygiene of hand washing etc are followed.

Needless to say - the Verm-x went in the bin and I ensure te girls are wormed with |Flubenvet every 3-4 months.

Good luck with it.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 19:24 »
Thanks for that post Davenports.  Proof by experience is often very accurate.

shetan

• Experienced Member
  • a wandering soul in a gsd body
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 23:35 »
can i just ask....

are eggs laid while on flubenvet edible or is there an egg withdrawal period?
1 Husband, 3 German Shepherds, 3 Black Jersey Giants, 3 White Jersey Giants, 1 White Jersey Cross, 1Blue Buff Columbian Brahma, 2 Buff Columbian Brahma, 1 White Columbian Brahma,  3 Gold Brahmas, 2 Golden Quail, 2 Giant Continental Rabbits and a Sister!

Pol

• Pauline
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 00:28 »
No egg withdrawal with Flubenvet
1 Great Husband, 2 Children, 1 Grandson, 2 Allotments & Secretary, 3 Buff Orpington, 2 Friesian, 2 Barnevelder, 2 Dogs 1 Cocker Spaniel and the other X Labrador, 1 Chinchilla, 1 Cat, 2 Guinea Pigs, 2 Horse and look after 2 more, must be mad

Oboejane

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 19:09 »
Thanks Davenports for your indepth response, very reassuring. They're on the Flubenvet now so fingers crossed...

Also good to know there's no egg withdrawal  :)

AL Hathaway

• Experienced Member
  • I Love Chicken TV
    • Five Valleys Poultry
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2011, 19:15 »
if you did not want o mess with the powder there is a Brilliant feed with it alrdy mixed very useful in two sizes as well

http://www.greenfarmhealth.co.uk/?atk=224&prk=651
“We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel_Kant

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2011, 05:50 »
you could also get this directly from marriages if they are close to you or even find some close to you so you don't have to pay for delivery, however you have to make sure that you will use it all before the expiry date so that the vitamins and minerals are still in date (remember that you only need the medicated feed for 7 days). For just a few hens the flubenvet powder is the best option I think.
Staffies are softer than you think.

xx
Worms in heap -good , worms in hens - bad.

Started by 8doubles on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 30, 2009, 08:37
by ehs284
xx
Possible tape worm in chickens

Started by gibbo on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post December 13, 2010, 21:19
by gibbo
xx
Electric fence (tape) advice please.

Started by NormandyMary on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post August 15, 2011, 10:50
by hillfooter
xx
Worms.

Started by Pat4d on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 18, 2012, 12:16
by Pat4d

Page created in 0.544 seconds with 30 queries.