Adding water to layer pellets

• 11 Replies

cammi

• Experienced Member
Adding water to layer pellets
« on: March 30, 2011, 10:15 »
I'm currently on a mission to stop Sally pecking and eating the others feathers, so have been making hanging boredom busters etc.  Yesterday i came up with the idea of adding a bit of water to their food which makes it into a porridge, which the girls lovely especially Sally the Araucana which is the one i am having problems with.

Anyway i can't see why it shouldn't be but thought id better check that this is ok.  They still have the feeder as normal, this is like a 'treat' although it contains nothing different

Thanks
11 Chickens (Rhode Rock, Bluebell, Copper Black, Columbine, Coucou, Mystery Hen, Clarance Court, Araucana, brown hen ) , 3 Cats (1 mog, 1 bengal, 1 Bengal x),  2 Little Boys, 1 dog (Golden Retriever) and 1 Husband

Casey76

Re: Adding water to layer pellets
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 10:54 »
Nothing wrong with is; just ensure that any remaining at the end of the day is discarded as the feed will go "off' very quickly :)

PaulineM

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 11:04 »
My girls get this every morning and they love it even though it is just their layer pellets.  :D
1 Hubby, 2 children, 2 Welsummers, 1 Leghorn Banty, 1 Wyandotte Banty, 1 Barnevelder, 2 Isa Brown, 1 Rhode Island, 1 Goldline,1 Maran, 2 Mottled Leghorns, 1 Leghorn cockerel & 2 Jack Russells

hillfooter

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 11:39 »
Nothing wrong with is; just ensure that any remaining at the end of the day is discarded as the feed will go "off' very quickly :)

By "off" Casey means mouldy which is very true.  Damp moulds can produce potent toxins (as well as spores) so wash the bowl as soon as they've finished with it.  Obviously anyone reading this shouldn't put damp meal (pellets or mash) in a gravity feeder.
HF
Truth through science.

Casey76

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 12:20 »
Actually... I meant sour, spoiled; not necessarily mouldy  :tongue2: (which of course can happen too) ;)

Bailz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 13:00 »
were do you guys put the mush once you made it? so they can enjoy it clearly not in the feeder lol
Cheers Bailz

Casey76

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 13:02 »
I put mine in a big salad bowl, or a spare trough feeder if I have one - but the salad bowl is easier to clean out!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 13:04 »
I have used a bowl such as a large pot dog bowl is ideal for just a few chucks, if you have lots then you may need several bowls. I wouldn't recommend a tray as they can walk all over it and pooh on the porridge  :(
Staffies are softer than you think.

ManicMum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 18:16 »
I use a large plastic "tin" which I got for Christmas.  Sadly, we had to eat the choccies it contained before the girls could have it!

It's ideal as it is red (so easily visible), plastic (so easy to clean), has a lid and is easily renewable when too grubby.

I look at it as "free sweeties with every useful red bowl purchased" and have several, for a variety of kitchen, dog and chicken purposes (specific purposes - it's not a dog bowl one day and a cake tin the next, you understand!).
ManicMum

cammi

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 20:35 »
I just give mine in a couple of cat bowls lol

Don't need to worry about pick up the left overs, its all gobbled up!

AL Hathaway

• Experienced Member
  • I Love Chicken TV
    • Five Valleys Poultry
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2011, 00:08 »
have you thought she might need more protein. They tend to nibble feathers when they are lacking something in the diet or being a bit of a bully as a way to dominate the others. If it's completely random then it's more likely she will need more protein.giving some dry cheap cat food.  Has lots of protien and chickens love it.  This is for a short time only or bone meal is used more often if your looking for just more protein.  But Fishmeal adds more than the others.
“We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel_Kant

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2011, 00:20 »
It's funny how the same food served a different way can seem so much more appetising.  I feed a grain mix as my chickens' staple diet. It usually goes in their hopper feeder. 

When I'm feeling generous, I use exactly the same grain mix, make a slightly sticky muesli by adding some water, serve it in a bowl and they gobble it up like a special treat.

The other day I was away from home so my hubby tossed a few handfuls of the same grain into their run.  He thought the poor chickens were starving the way they hunted down and ate every single grain.  Little did he know they still had plenty in their hopper.  ::)

If only humans' brains were as simple as that.  I would serve boiled carrots every night and say to hubby, "Look!  Chips and beer!"  :lol:

xx
Whats the difference, between layer pellets and layer mash?

Started by Craigx on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post October 11, 2012, 11:14
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Grower's pellets to layer's pellets

Started by Ben_H on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 14, 2011, 09:36
by Beano
xx
Layer Pellets

Started by thechicken on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post June 20, 2012, 19:11
by thechicken
xx
layer pellets

Started by dennis on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post July 03, 2012, 08:34
by Sassy

Page created in 0.392 seconds with 30 queries.